Thread: Problem with GRUB

Beans

Problem with GRUB

Hi folks, I have a problem with the grub boot menu,as i am installed wndows7ultimate and ubuntu 11.10,whenever i start the system there is no boot menu for choosing the OSes,by default ubuntu starts. but after checking some post over the forum i found that someone said pressing SHIFT key on boot up will show the boot menu.but as i did so its is showing this message and i can't able to use my system. -------------------------------------------------------------------- SYSLINUX 4.04 EDD 2011-04-18 copyright (c) 1994-2011 H.Peter Anvin et al ERROR : No configuration file found No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found! boot: ------------------------------------------------------------------ please help me folks so i can use my system.http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/confused.gif
    Last edited by sjparida; December 20th, 2011 at 01:37 PM. Reason: wrong formatting

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: Problem with GRUB

Can you post the result of these commands?

Code:
    sudo parted /dev/sda print 

sudo fdisk -l

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Will you have reinstalled the GRUB after installing windows?
    See here

http://www.tuxgarage.com/2011/01/re-...ing-grub2.html

Beans

I can't access the system as sson as i boot a black with these instruction are showing. No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!. boot :

Beans
    Distro

In that case you don't have an operating system, try to reinstall Ubuntu. Then we will find a solution for Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by BC59 View Post
    In that case you don't have an operating system, try to reinstall Ubuntu. Then we will find a solution for Windows.
    He sayd at the beginning he could just boot into Ubuntu, so I asume he has an OS, there just seems to be a problem with GRUB.
    LPIC-2 Certified, which doesn't mean I'm a guru.

All advice is given to the best of my knowledge but without any guarantee that it will work (in your case). (And I don't provide support via Private Messages.)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MartijnNL View Post
    He sayd at the beginning he could just boot into Ubuntu, so I asume he has an OS, there just seems to be a problem with GRUB.
    Don't read only the first message

#4 I can't access the system as sson as i boot a black with these instruction are showing. No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!. boot :

Beans

thnx buddy,it is solved now tnx for the http://www.tuxgarage.com/2011/01/re-...ing-grub2.html link its vry helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by BC59 View Post
    Don't read only the first message
    I didn't. But I got the impression the error just occurred after hitting shift. It's a bit weird when you get a syslinux warning warning when going to the grub menu.

But the fact that he was able to boot into Ubuntu before shows that there is an OS, that doesn't just disappear by pushing shift on boot. So re-installing Ubuntu seemed a bit premature to me. And as it turned out re-installing GRUB was enough.
    LPIC-2 Certified, which doesn't mean I'm a guru.

All advice is given to the best of my knowledge but without any guarantee that it will work (in your case). (And I don't provide support via Private Messages.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by sjparida View Post
    thnx buddy,it is solved now tnx for the http://www.tuxgarage.com/2011/01/re-...ing-grub2.html link its vry helpful
    You're welcome.