Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Grub2 doesn't boot either OS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Grub2 doesn't boot either OS

Quote Originally Posted by Quikj View Post
    I didn't see any traces of the dell data safe programs, but maybe I wasn't thorough enough.
    I'm not sure what you mean, after removing and how you removed it, if you did, or no trace at all.

Beans

I didn't see the program at all. I was thinking that maybe there are some hidden files or traces of the Dell Data Safe Utility, similar to files left on a computer after uninstalling some virus protection software.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Quikj View Post
    I didn't see the program at all. I was thinking that maybe there are some hidden files or traces of the Dell Data Safe Utility, similar to files left on a computer after uninstalling some virus protection software.
    Hmm, it may be under another name or mixed in with stuff, here is a google link for your search.
    http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...f642595e92e50c

I also wonder if all the tweaking done to get things up and running hasn't caused a problem, I would at least install grub to the boot loader=mbr with the live cd as the grub2 link I supplied suggests. You don't need to use super grub to get in, and I wonder if that method is flawed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Unless you figure out what program is writing/erasing the MBR, your options are:
    1. Keep repeating what you have done before - (absolute nightmare).
    2. Boot from an external drive such as a USB flash drive with grub installed in its MBR (painful. but will work)
    3. Create a separate boot partition for Ubuntu and install grub there. Then you would chainload from windows on to that partition using say, bcdedit or easy BCD. (a better solution)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345