Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Grub2 doesn't boot either OS

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Grub2 doesn't boot either OS

vmlinuz is a link to the current kernel. Do you see a file called "vmlinuz" when you type this from the recovery console:
    Code:
    ls (hd0,5)/
    If not, can you find anything that starts with vmlinuz (such as vmlinuz-2.6.32-22-generic) when you run:
    Code:
    ls (hd0,5)/boot/
    If you do, then replace the lines:
    Code:
    linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda5 ro
    initrd /initrd.img
    with
    Code:
    linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-22.generic root=/dev/sda5 ro
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-22-generic
    Replace the vmlinuz-.... and initrd..... files appropriately.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The only thing more I will say here is that even if you get Ubuntu to boot and run update grub, I don't think W7 is going to boot without the ntldr. I might be wrong I hope I am, but a regular comes on line within a couple of hours usually and this looks like a job for him.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

@wilee: Sorry. Feels like I am trying to ignore you. Don't get me wrong pal. I feel /dev/sda2 has a boot loader but the partition is missing a boot flag. I was suggesting on marking that as the active partition (gparted or other means). Then, once we fix grub2, a simple sudo update-grub would pick it up automatically.

Alternatively, he could use the win7 repair cd to fix the boot sector and the MBR and then we could take care of Ubuntu.

I also noticed that the boot info script says that grub is installed on /media/lucid/boot/grub which is a bit odd. Your thoughts?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by john newbuntu View Post
    @wilee: Sorry. Feels like I am trying to ignore you. Don't get me wrong pal. I feel /dev/sda2 has a boot loader but the partition is missing a boot flag. I was suggesting on marking that as the active partition (gparted or other means). Then, once we fix grub2, a simple sudo update-grub would pick it up automatically.

Alternatively, he could use the win7 repair cd to fix the boot sector and the MBR and then we could take care of Ubuntu.

I also noticed that the boot info script says that grub is installed on /media/lucid/boot/grub which is a bit odd. Your thoughts?
    Hold on, I am also wrong about the ntldr. You are probably correct it makes sense that the boot would be there, in sda2, sda1 I think is the dell firmware or dell extra junk.

I just obsessed with the ntldr but after looking at another thread oldfred had looked at with W7 he said it looked okay and the boot files are the same as this one, carry on.

Edit: yeah the media /lucid/boot/grub might be a grub in the partition other then the regular grub.cfg...etc files but shouldn't theoretically cause a problem, but you never know.
    Last edited by wilee-nilee; June 15th, 2010 at 11:38 AM.

Beans

Thanks guys for all of your help. It's sincerely appreciated. Will report back with results once again.

Beans

I see a file called initr.img vmlinuz cdrom/ and vmlinuz.old

Beans

I just booted into ubuntu for the first time, using the changes as described by John newbuntu.

First time doing this without Super grub disk in awhile.

Now running:

Code:
     sudo update-grub
    So do I reboot as usual?
    Last edited by Quikj; June 15th, 2010 at 11:50 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wilee-nilee View Post
    Hold on, I am also wrong about the ntldr. You are probably correct it makes sense that the boot would be there, in sda2, sda1 I think is the dell firmware or dell extra junk.

I just obsessed with the ntldr but after looking at another thread oldfred had looked at with W7 he said it looked okay and the boot files are the same as this one, carry on.

Edit: yeah the media /lucid/boot/grub might be a grub in the partition other then the regular grub.cfg...etc files but shouldn't theoretically cause a problem, but you never know.
    the media /lucid/boot/grub is the result of me trying this fix from another site.

Beans
    Distro

Yay so far

Beans

I'm doing my happy dance in front of my machine, but I'm scared to reboot.

grub.cfg shows all of my OS's.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast