Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kramden Institute (Durham, NC)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Kramden Institute (Durham, NC)

So I was not sure where to post this, so I figured I will start here.

This is a great organization that I have been volunteering with for the last 2 years. In a nutshell, we refurbish computers for less privileged students.
    see www.kramden.org/about

In the past, we have been using the Microsoft MAR's Program, which is basically a small fee per computer for a new community program product key. Since they have updated their system and made it much more complicated, and of course we are trying to lower our cost we are now looking at implementing Ubuntu as our main OS for the computers that we will be giving out. We already use all open-source programs with our layout such as OpenOffice. So this should be a natural transition for us I would think. I am trying to help them decide this is a great move, since I have been using Ubuntu for 3 years now and love it. So really I am looking for ideas/input/thoughts about how I can convert some of the management team, that is still holding back since they are not as comfortable with it.

I just think this is going to be a great way to help spread the word about Ubuntu and get it into the hands of our next generation Ubuntu users. Please check out www.kramden.org and let me know what you think, or any questions you may have.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Kramden Institute (Durham, NC)

Quote Originally Posted by Garagegoblin View Post

This is a great organization that I have been volunteering with for the last 2 years. In a nutshell, we refurbish computers for less privileged students.

In the past, we have been using the Microsoft MAR's Program, which is basically a small fee per computer for a new community program product key. Since they have updated their system and made it much more complicated, and of course we are trying to lower our cost we are now looking at implementing Ubuntu as our main OS for the computers that we will be giving out. We already use all open-source programs with our layout such as OpenOffice. So this should be a natural transition for us I would think. I am trying to help them decide this is a great move, since I have been using Ubuntu for 3 years now and love it. So really I am looking for ideas/input/thoughts about how I can convert some of the management team, that is still holding back since they are not as comfortable with it.

I just think this is going to be a great way to help spread the word about Ubuntu and get it into the hands of our next generation Ubuntu users. Please check out www.kramden.org and let me know what you think, or any questions you may have.
    You should read The Blog of Helios, it's a similar project to what you are describing. In fact, you might even email him, he seems quite approachable and good-hearted. I'd bet you'll get some great ideas from him.

Also, I've found that showing people my own computers goes a long way towards changing their views about trying alternatives to Windows. A demo is worth far more than a lot of words. If they have questions about whether the system can do this or that, it's WAY easier to just show them. If you have a laptop I'd say take it along as show-and-tell. If not, then a live CD can also work.

I wish you well with the project.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks Jay Car,
    That site is awesome, and will definitely be contacting them soon. I appreciate your awesome ideas. My laptop is always with me, and I too love to show people how great it works.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm glad to help. Helios is definitely a colorful character, but he seems earnest and dedicated. Best of luck with your project!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Wow! I would love to see something like this in the Winston-Salem, Piedmont Triad area. Would you please consider posting this to the team's mailing list? A subscription to the list is required but not terribly painful. https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-us-nc
    This mailing list currently has 128 subscribers, many in the Triangle area.

The NC LoCo Team is now an approved team and as such I'm sure we can get you "official" LiveCD's. Reading the "Our Team" page on the Kramden site makes me wonder who is reluctant.

-mark
    --that's carpenter, not the nasty fish...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks Mark for commenting. I did just go through and sign up for the e-mail subscription. One major concern is the amount of technical calls we would get from parents who have no idea how to use the computer or to help their child learn to use the computer. I am coming up with a proposal to run this program first on a test group of people. Some students, some adults and have them run through the paces with the equipment and come up with questions they might have, or problems they are running into being new to Ubuntu totally. I think this would give us a great idea on a test level any concern we might have running this at full scale. I would really like to see our staff become much more comfortable with it first, so that way we can come up with small quick classes on how to run Ubuntu, and go over some of the basics that some people may not be able to pick up. Thoughts/Ideas??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks Mark for commenting. I did just go through and sign up for the e-mail subscription.
    I hope that went through okay; I'm an admin for that list and haven't seen a subscribe notice in the last hour.
    One major concern is the amount of technical calls we would get from parents who have no idea how to use the computer or to help their child learn to use the computer. I am coming up with a proposal to run this program first on a test group of people. Some students, some adults and have them run through the paces with the equipment and come up with questions they might have, or problems they are running into being new to Ubuntu totally. I think this would give us a great idea on a test level any concern we might have running this at full scale. I would really like to see our staff become much more comfortable with it first, so that way we can come up with small quick classes on how to run Ubuntu, and go over some of the basics that some people may not be able to pick up. Thoughts/Ideas??
    Wow, there was Ubuntu User Days last weekend [1]. There are many resources already available to help new users. Now "small quick classes" may be a different matter. Maybe pointing out that tweaking your install to include help files that your test group calls for would reduce the calls.

I'd like to bring this up in our next team meeting. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NorthCarolinaTeam/Meeting

This is an IRC meeting; a lot of Ubuntu stuff happens over IRC.

[1]https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UserDays

-mark
    --that's carpenter, not the nasty fish...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I will join that chat as well on Thursday no problem. I am going to be in a meeting with them on Wednesday, so I will try to field some of their thoughts and concerns and see what I can gather to make that part of the meeting somewhat prepared. I am excited to get involved in this and I am glad to see the NC Loco team is starting to take off. I was just approved for the mailing list so I am good to go. I will shoot an e-mail introducing myself and mentioning the Kramden setup with a note about it being part of the meeting on Thursday on IRC.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm in the Triangle area, and happen to have a massive CD burner lying around. Has about a 100 disk capacity. I happen to have a contact at Kramden that works with me, and I'm sure I could pass some Ubuntu CDs through him. If there's anything I can help out with, let me know. I'd also be willing to do some question answering for users that may have trouble. I love this idea!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

One major concern is the amount of technical calls we would get from parents who have no idea how to use the computer or to help their child learn to use the computer.
    In my limited experience with teaching technology, concentrate on the kids. They will help train the parents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast