Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obsolete Computers 'n Stuff.

Hybrid View

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Obsolete Computers 'n Stuff.

I posted a few pictures of some old stuff I have, and people seem to react to it, so I thought; why not dedicate a thread about old[er] hardware and software.

A few of my old machines.
    The one on the left isn't obsolete, it just sits in the picture to make me feel modern and youthful.
    The one in the middle, with the amber screen is an IBM 5155 'portable' computer [people call them luggable nowadays]. It still works, but as you may see, on the picture it runs without any system disk, I was too lazy to put one in.
    The machine running on the right is a Macintosh Classic, I believe it runs MacOS 7.0.1.

The flat thing on top of the IBM 5155 is an IBM PC Convertible with a printer attached at the back, it does not run, it lacks a power supply.
    The computer on the shelf above is an Apple ][ Europlus, it still works, but it sadly misses Disk I.

Behind the small monitor on top of the Macintosh Classic is an Apple Macintosh ED.

A few more machines.
    Left to right: Commodore Plus/4, Atari 130XE [brand spanking new], Atari 2600 [also brand spanking new], Commodore 64, keyboard for a Sinclair ZX81, the Sinclair ZX81 itself [and yes, that is a picture of my grandpa next to it, may he rest in peace].
    Lower shelf, in the middle, that's a Commodore VIC 20.
    Lower shelf, on the right: do I really need to explain?

Also, a monster IBM HDD with a 5.25", a 3.5" and a 2.5" hdd in front of it. I think the big disk is 5MB, but not sure.

I've got a few more, but I can't take pictures of them atm, it's a bit of a mess !

Show us what you've got please !

Cheers.
    Last edited by Phrea; June 11th, 2010 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling error.
    G! dpu s:++ a C+++ UL++ P L+++ !E W+++ N+ o? K- W-- O- M- V- PS+ PE- Y+ PGP t- 5 X+ R* tv-- b DI- D- G e+ h+ r--- y+

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Obsolete Computers 'n Stuff.

ok

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Loving those oldschool macs!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Does that HDD have a motor?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Brent0 View Post
    Does that HDD have a motor?
    That grey thing on the bottom left is the motor.
    Yes, it's huuuuuuuge.
    G! dpu s:++ a C+++ UL++ P L+++ !E W+++ N+ o? K- W-- O- M- V- PS+ PE- Y+ PGP t- 5 X+ R* tv-- b DI- D- G e+ h+ r--- y+

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Wink Re: Obsolete Computers 'n Stuff.

http://i.imgur.com/GPRWr.jpg

Reminds me of my office in 1983 or so... Trackball and all; of course only the "wierd "guy had the Mac - but he did show me how to scan things with the hand scanner... We used AT&T PC's and soon, I got myself a keen AST Premium 286 with the whopping 1.2Mb of RAM for about $2000 - and a gen-u-wine Epson FX-80 printer too!

But Hey, Bud, where's the AST TurboLaser and the Davong Hard Disk Unit; and the Ashton Tate dBaseII binders ?
    Last edited by emarkay; June 11th, 2010 at 08:47 PM.
    Ubuntu 16.04-Dell P390,Pentium D 3.4G,4G R,NVIDIA GT360
    Ubuntu 16.04-Dell DE520,Pentium D 2.80G, 3G R,NVIDIA GeForce9500GT
    Ubuntu 18.04-Dell PM90,Intel T2600 2.1G,4G R,NVIDIA Quadro FX 500M
    Ubuntu 18.04-HP 15-F233wm,Celeron N3050 1.6G,4G R,Intel HD

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by Phrea View Post
    I posted a few pictures of some old stuff I have, and people seem to react to it, so I thought; why not dedicate a thread about old[er] hardware and software.
    Boy, you were spoiled.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Phrea View Post
    Also, a monster IBM HDD with a 5.25", a 3.5" and a 2.5" hdd in front of it. I think the big disk is 5MB, but not sure.
    Argh! The 5.25 is a quantum bigfoot! They were the worst drives I ever used.

Beans
    Hidden!

Sorry about the fuzzy picture, I'm still finding my way around photo editing tools on Ubuntu. The pic is of my old desktop, which I've had about 10 years - the BIOS is dated some time round 1996. It came with Win98SE, a 1Gb hard drive and 64Mb of RAM, and runs at 133MHz. I replaced the origial HDD with a 3Gb unit, and more recently pulled out the sound card and modem to give it USB and ethernet. It's currently got a CLI installation of Ubuntu 6.06. The monitor's a bit unreliable and doesn't always work. It's a bit slower than what I've gotten used to - it takes about 3 minutes to boot into a usable state, but at least it works!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lisati; June 12th, 2010 at 10:18 AM. Reason: replace pic
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cascade9 View Post
    Argh! The 5.25 is a quantum bigfoot! They were the worst drives I ever used.
    There were some 3.5" HDDs that came from India some time around 7 or 8 years ago. From memory they had the the top face of the drive glued on & they were half as thick as ordinary 3.5 drives are. They were the worst drives I ever came across. Their life expectancy was very short.

I remember the bigfoot as slow.
    Last edited by handy; June 12th, 2010 at 11:31 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast