Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to disable laptop keyboard?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

how to disable laptop keyboard?

I need to disable my laptop's inbuilt keyboard due to some problems i'm having. the w key keeps getting typed on screen. I'll be using an external keyboard connected through usb.

i'm using kubuntu 10.04 on a sony cr35g. can someone please tell me how to do this? (disabling the inbuilt keyboard that is).

i would prefer a graphical method because of the keyboard problem but commandline should be ok too if i can execute the commands in a script.

pricetech is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: how to disable laptop keyboard?

Am I reading that correctly that the W key is spontaneously registering a key press without actually being pressed ??

I doubt there's any way to disable it outside the BIOS, and maybe not even there.

I'd look at removing the keyboard and attempting to fix whatever is going on with the W key and if worse comes to worse, leaving it disconnected.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This doesn't seem to be what you asked for, but if it's just the w key giving you problems, you could disable it and remap your keyboard so that another key or key combination gives you w.

I've never done it myself so can't verify that it works but

http://www.linuxscrew.com/2008/09/15...-key-in-linux/

gives some instructions on how to do this - maybe it allow you to use your original keyboard.

Beans
    Distro

@pricetech - yes that's right. that's bad - like all laptops the bios has been dumbed down and obviously none of the advanced features are available.yeah it is a keyboard problem since it also happened in vista which was previously installed.

@yossell- thanks for the info.will check it out.

Beans
    Distro

@singam - Urm this is ubuntuforums.org and i'm talking about kubuntu. windows has been eradicated from my laptop!

Beans
    Distro

@yossell - I used the command given in the link and it worked! My laptop's inbuilt keyboard w key does not work when pressed (and more importantly does not spontaneously register a press) but my external keyboard's w key works fine. So do I have to this each time the comp is started or is it sort of permanent?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hey - I'm glad it worked, though I'm surprised that it worked that well - I thought it was going to disable the w button on each keyboard.

I don't really know the answer to your question, but a quick look around does suggest it's possible to apply these remaps automatically on start up - these links looked like they might be helpful:

http://cweiske.de/howto/xmodmap/allinone.html

http://dev-loki.blogspot.com/2006/04...h-xmodmap.html

Beans
    Distro

well actually i executed the command before conencting the external keyboard. which is probably why the external keyboard's w key is working and the inbuilt keyboard isn't.

Beans
    Distro

my problem isn't solved yet. unfortunately it STILL occurs even after disabling the key using: xmodmap -e 'keycode 25='

anyway to disable the internal keyboard? change something in xorg.conf?

Beans
    Distro

ok the problem doesn't occur anymore atleast when using a window manager or desktop environment. i've set the command to run each time i start up the laptop. unfortunately the command cannot run before loading kde, so the problem still occurs during login.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast