Thread: EASE HEL- my laptoop is a black screen with a dark blue bloob

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Exclamation EASE HEL- my laptoop is a black screen with a dark blue bloob

(sorry that should say please help, i am using a broken keyboard)

i did a fresh install of lucid after lucid kept bugging up, it wrked all of yesterday untill last night about 8 i think when the screen got all crazy looking and all i could do was hoold the on-off button untill it turned off... i turned it back on, and after the initial dell screen i think it was loading ubuntu but i got the black screen with a dark blue blob and thin virtical likes across the screen... i turned it back off, and on again and got the same thing minus the initial dell screen. now it turns on and its just the black screen with dark blue blob and virtical lines. please can someone help me? is this because of 10.04? i got the iso torrent from ubuntu.com and i never had any probs with 9.10.
    Last edited by robot_chicken_parm; June 11th, 2010 at 03:26 PM. Reason: typo in title

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: EASE HEL- my laptoop is a black screen with a dark blue bloob

did you get a complete boot to the login screen yet since installation?. in the past i have suffered a similar problem with fresh installs. i actually had a purchased copy of ubuntu from a website that gave me install problems and it wasn't until i downloaded it from ubuntus main site and installed the iso in that form that it actually started working. try reinstallation once again and if no success try downloading ubuntu from the main site and not a torrent the try to install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

after installation it worked fine for a few hours and then this happenned. right now its not doing anything except for that weird screen right after pressing the on button, the first thing i see is that screen. i dont know how i can get the cd to boot i dont think its booting anything when it turns on. ...k i actually just now got it to boot after i turned it on and then tok the battery out and then ut it back in and turned it on.. i just put in a 9.10 cd so ill let you know in a min how it goes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

not good... first i checked the disk for errors and it said all was good, so i chose try without installing and then when i got to the language screen it happened again. it was like the screen froze and there were all these vertical lines and the colors got screwed up and so i turned off the power again because that's all i could do. what is happening to my computer?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

in case anyone cares, i have determined that this must be a hardware issue. when i turned the computer to the left and prop a pillow under it, the probem is resoved. i was wondering is anyone coud tell me what this means, besides saying that i probably need to shell out some cash for professional help.

Beans

>_> My guess would be the hard drive, since that seems to be the most mobile of parts. Then again, I don't know much about the inner workings of computers, so get a professional opinion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

i do kinda agree with ucal on the pssobility of an hdd issue but propping it up with a pillow and hoving it work then sounds like an issue with heating and air flow. but it could most likely be a hardware issue maybe even to the extent of incompatability. i know that one of my old notebooks was incompatable with solaris and would freeze at the same spot during installation. see if reverting to a previous version of ubuntu gets you up and running.
    Last edited by mr.farenheit; June 12th, 2010 at 03:54 PM.