Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cannot move panel items

Beans

cannot move panel items

I just installed xubuntu 10.04 and realized i cannot move xfce4-panel items.
    I can add or remove items just fine, but just can't move them out of their original position.

How annoying.

Same problem with two (2) different installations on different hardware.

Fiddled with $HOME/.config/xfce4/panel/* to no avail. Nothing strange seems to be there AFAICS.

Same problem on two X drivers (fglrx and tightvncserver).

I just realized I also can't drag-and-drop contacts in Pidgin, so maybe this is a drag-and-drop issue?
    But I don't think so, panel items cannot be moved even when the action is initiated by right-clicking on them and choosing "Move".

Running latest xfce4-panel (4.6.3-1ubuntu2 at this time).
    Last edited by andreworg; June 11th, 2010 at 01:37 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: cannot move panel items

That's a new one I hadn't heard before. Forgive me if this sounds too "dumbed down" then, but it's the only way I know...

Right click on the item in the panel you want to move, select Move (by left-clicking on it), then place the cursor over the spot where you want the item to appear and left click.

There may be a "command line" way to do it, but I don't know about it. Perhaps you've already done the steps above, but you didn't say precisely what you did...

Hoping this helps,
    Robin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

hi,
    right-click on the icon, select "move", put the icon where i want works for me too.
    it's better to ask stupid question than to do something stupid.

Beans

Thanks dixiedancer, I had this problem and your solution really helped!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedancer View Post
    Right click on the item in the panel you want to move, select Move (by left-clicking on it), then place the cursor over the spot where you want the item to appear and left click.
    Robin,
    that's what I'm used doing myself (I'm a long time xfce user) and that's exactly what is not working.

Moreover, if I recall correctly, when moving is allowed xfce4-panel very conveniently previews the new placement as you move the cursor over the new location. Obviously this is not happening for me. Actually, after choosing "move", all of the panels become "greyed out" (as in "you cannot drop anything here"). If you insist on left-clicking the grabbing hand cursor on a spot (and I've tried), an icon flies from the cursor back to the original position (as in "you dropped something where it does not belong").

Beans

UPDATE:

Drag-and-Drop is not working also in Thunar, so this may be a xfce4 issue (not only xfce4-panel).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yikes!

That's kinda weird. Certain desktop environments are buggy for me and others aren't. I played around with LXDE for a couple of months before giving up on it, but I really wanted it to work because it's super lightweight and simple and has a "Windowsy" familiarity that made it ideal sharing with other kids. Yet others described the simplest solutions that worked for them, but never for me, even on a fresh install of both the OS and the DE. So I guess mine was a hardware issue, although I suspect it's more common than folks know because, well, look how long it is taking for Lubuntu to get out of Alpha testing...

I'm curious if you're using Xubuntu or just have Xfce on top of some other distro. I find Xfce quite different from one distro to another. In Crunchbang it's invisible until you right-click. In Debian it's pale, blue, bland and boring, a plain white canvas for the user to paint any way s/he likes. And it seems to work a bit differently depending on the window manager (are you using Xfwm? Is compositing enabled?), the hardware, and alot of GTK stuff.

Hoping to still help if we can,
    Robin

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedancer View Post
    I'm curious if you're using Xubuntu or just have Xfce on top of some other distro.
    Robin,
    many thanks for your interest.

It's kind of weird. I've had the same problem on a couple of different installations.
    The first one is from xubuntu 10.04 i386 on a notebook computer. The second one is a VM installed from ubuntu server 10.04 64 bit, I can't remember if I installed xubuntu-desktop or just a few selected xfce packages (can't check now, I deleted the VM). On the notebook I am experiencing the issue with both the fglrx driver and xtightvncserver. Compositing is off.

I have put xubuntu 10.04 on a pen drive (via pendrivelinux.com), I will check what happens booting from it as soon as I can.

Beans

Issue still unresolved.
    the issue is NOT present on vanilla xubuntu 10.04 booted from USB stick.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I have the same issue, somewhat.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10231180
    I am very curious to see how this thread winds up being solved.
    AMD A4-3400 w/ Radeon HD 6410D, 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333Mhz, Kubuntu 14.04, SliTaz 4.0, Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04 VM
    " ... Love your neighbor as you love yourself."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast