Thread: ubuntu on imac

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

ubuntu on imac

I've tried several releases to install on imac G3.All of them failed.(debian ended up with a black screen,9.10,9.04,6.06 all froze)The last I've tried is 8.04 alternate ppc.I managed to get a lxde desktop but running in low graphics.I followed the instructions given here:http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=405934
    There are two problems.The first is setting the date(I believe it's necessary todo this first) but I don't have the original keyboard,so is there another key combination I can use to do it?The second one is that I can't reconfigure the xorg.conf file.When I do sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf,there's nothing there to configure.When I boot,a small window pops up that ubuntu is running in low graphics because it's unable to find a valid framebuffer device2)failed to open framebufferdevice3)screenss found but none have a usable configuration.When clicked ok,another window pops up giving me three options1)run in low-graphics2)reconfigure graphics3)troubleshoot the error.If I choose to reconfigure,create a new conf,it's impossible to do.I've tried at least ten times now to install and getting tired of it.I'm gonna give it a last try and I hope I don't end up with the same probs.So any help would be welcome;

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: ubuntu on imac

Moved to Apple Users.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Starting with Ubuntu 9.10, xorg.conf has been left out. The reason is detection software is used to sense 'hot' plug devices (usb and video connections).

For older machines, not having 'hot' plug devices, this becomes an issue.

To generate an xorg.conf for your machine:

Key - ctrl+alt+F1 (or 2 through 6), this will put you in virtual terminal mode.

Type - sudo service gdm stop (this will stop the X server)
    Type - sudo Xorg -configure (this should generate an ~/xorg.new)
    Type - sudo mv ~/xorg.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Type - sudo service gdm start

Type - reboot

I found this at a site by googling "ubuntu xorg.conf"
    Last edited by Frobber; June 11th, 2010 at 03:43 PM. Reason: I left out an important step to move the new file

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

or you take a working one here. I can help you tweak.
    Linux on your Apple Mac │ iLinux
    http://mac.linux.be
    http://www.mintppc.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

First of all,major thanks for the replies.Just finished a setup using the 8.04 alternate disc.Now there actually was a xorg.conf file,only,without module settings (so again,nothing to change).
    Gonna have another try tomorrow (if I do it now,the imac will be airborn).I've read somewhere that the hour/date has to be set (some bug or something),really can't recall (could be debian though).
    I really want to get this thing going cause I don't wanna disappoint the girl I promised to do this.
    Kind regards,J.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by linuxopjemac View Post
    or you take a working one here. I can help you tweak.
    Dit jaagt me de muren op.Heb al dozijnen minimals geinstalleerd,maar deze is echt te gek.Heb er al een paar pakketjes cd's doorgedraaid.AAAAArrrrggghhh