Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do I install Rosewill RNX-N180UB wireless Adapter

n.hinton is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How do I install Rosewill RNX-N180UB wireless Adapter

You are substituting the # in 7b with the wlan number you got from the results of 7a aren't you!

Beans

Ha, yes I believe mine was wlan1, but it's hard to be specific without being too specific.

I'm going to take another crack at this tonight using ndiswrapper. I'm only a white-belt in linux-fu so I'm not getting my hopes but, but I'll post if I find anything useful.

Beans

No luck so far. What's nuts is my wife has another rosewill wireless adapter that worked right out of the box.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I finally got my adapter to work, but it took a good deal of trial and error. For whatever reason, it seems that the adapter will not work unless the kernel module is loaded before it is inserted.

Rosewill has a download package for the source of the Linux drivers, which included quick install documentation. I followed the instructions
    Code:
    make ; ./clean ; sudo insmod 8712u.ko ;
    and then inserted the adapter. After many failed attempts, it became apparent that the "device [wasn't] ready" unless the module was loaded before insertion.

To automatically load the driver at boot (which doesn't solve the load module before insertion; the adapter will need to be removed before or during shutdown), I added the 8712u.ko module to "/lib/modules/2.6.xx-xx/kernel/drivers/net/wireless" (replace 2.6.xx-xx with your complete kernel name) via
    Code:
    sudo mv [driver_location] /lib/modules/.../wireless
    (replace driver_location with the complete path to the compiled driver and replace /lib/modules/.../wireless with the complete path to the ./wireless directory). I then added "8712u" to /etc/modules with
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/modules
    The adapter works, but it takes a good deal of effort to keep it that way.

Beans

Does that mean don't insert the wireless adapter never-ever before loading the modules, or you will need to logout or reboot or 're-install linux'?

I have installed the modules before (and have rebooted since then), I just tried out your instructions and the mouse+keyboard froze up as soon as I inserted the wireless adapter.

I don't understand kernel-fu so I suppose more trial and error is necessary.

Beans

during the make I get a lot errors:
    warning: cast from pointer to integer of different sizerrors

Which sounds like a 32v64 bit issue. I'm not a C guy...

the interesting issue is my system appears to kernel panic when I install the device.

Beans

Been learning a little about Linux in school so I gave it another shot and was able to set this adapter up. It was a pain but in hindsight it wasn't that complicated. The driver installed fine following the provided instructions, my problem was setting up the connection. You can use the network manager gui. I was trying to do it in command line, after using the GUI I realized i put the encryption key in wrong. I'm on Linux right now, enjoying it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12