Thread: Setup Terminal to tunnel data via Tor

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Setup Terminal to tunnel data via Tor

I have just installed Tor from torproject.org and installed Polipo, as well as Vidalia (GUI to manage Tor). Everything is working as it should and I can connect to the internet with Tor.

I've just installed Ubuntu Tweak and they are a couple of applications I want to install. Although, when I attempt to download the apps, it makes a direct connection seeing that I've not been able to configure it to use the proxy address / port ( 127.0.0.1:8118 ) I setup with Tor. I need atleast, The Ubuntu Software Center, Terminal, Synaptics Package Manager, or UbuntuTweak to connect using Tor. Does anyone have a way around this? Any help is appreciated.

-[n3rve]
    Last edited by N3RVE; June 10th, 2010 at 09:33 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Setup Terminal to tunnel data via Tor

Sorry for the bump, I just need to know how to configure the aforementioned applications to connect via a proxy. I'm sure they are already people using Proxies with their setups.

-[n3rve]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Bump!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Too bad, I should try somewhere else.

Beans

I realise the tread is old but just incase someone needs this. You can apply your proxy settings system wide by going to System -> Preferences -> Network Proxy.

Beans
    Hidden!

OK, and then you fill then the socks proxy field there? This should give you the function permanantly, but do you use then same port for all sevices?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ottosykora View Post
    OK, and then you fill then the socks proxy field there? This should give you the function permanantly, but do you use then same port for all sevices?
    The "Network Proxy Preferences" dialogue has fields for other protocols, Secure HTTP, SOCKS and FTP. If an application attempts to connect using either of the other protocols, say "SOCKS", I'll expect it to connect with the port defined there.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Talking Re: Setup Terminal to tunnel data via Tor

any one know how to set all services for a proxy through tor.. in kubuntu.? thanks
    skype- HtmlGifted
    yahoo- HtmlGifted
    personal page- http://www.jeremyahenry.tk/
    Company site http://www.yourwaywebhosting.com