Thread: Pingus is having some problems...

Beans

Pingus is having some problems...

Hello!

I seem to be having at least two problem with the game, Pingus.

1. The audio doesn't work perfectly, in that the instruments seem to be the main problem. I'm not hearing all the instruments when I was playing the game. I used to be able to hear them when I played Pingus back on 9.10 (I use 10.04 now)
    2. Pressing F5 does open the option menu, but I can't click on anything. However it's not completely frozen as I can still exit out of the program, and put it to full screen.

Any help? I've tried uninstaling followed by reinstalling and restarting the computer, nothing changed.

Beans

Re: Pingus is having some problems...

Hey there,

Regarding the audio issue, there is a bug report here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...us/+bug/575319

I know this doesn't solve your problem but, I don't think there is a solution yet. At least not that I know of. Out of curiosity, are you using 64-bit Ubuntu?

Beans

Thanks for the info.
    Also, no I'm using 32-bit.

Beans

Me and my son play and edit levels in Pingus all the time and I recently had this problem manifest itself(missing sound channels).

I'm guessing it is an sdlmixer bug but can't prove it.
    Anyways this is what I did about it.

I copied the music from the pingus data folder
    /usr/share/games/pingus/data/music

They are all Impulse tracker files(*.it & *.s3m) which are kind of like midi.
    I converted them to .wav files using an application called Schism Tracker(in the ubuntu repository).
    Then I converted the wav files to ogg vorbis(.ogg) using Audacity.

Then using sudo Nautilus in terminal I copied the .ogg files back to /usr/share/games/pingus/data/music

Then I used sudo gedit to edit all the .pingus files in /usr/share/games/pingus/data/levels/tutorial and /usr/share/games/pingus/data/levels/holloween and replaced all the ".it" in the data with ".ogg"(minus the quotes)

The music works fine now.
    Hope this helps.