Thread: Ubuntu wont run installers, in particular Mathematica

Beans

Unhappy Ubuntu wont run installers, in particular Mathematica

Hi guys!

Im still getting used to Ubuntu & I was wondering does anyone have Mathematica on their machine?

I have the unix copy of mathematica, i mount it, go through to /unix/Installer then click on MathInstaller and it states "unkown file type". Im pretty sure its not corrupt or anything, i opened it up as a text file and it looks like a convincing C+ installer.

I read somewhere that i have to do an 'sh' mount or something, but going through that process in the terminal just spits out this

bla bla : sudo sh MathInstaller
    *asks for password*
    sh:Can't open MathInstaller

I am a bit confused as to why this wont even start, its a legit copy and everything!?

Anyone know what could cause this?? (it may not even be specific to Mathematica but anything that uses this kind of format)

I really like Ubuntu since i had it but Im still not competent at it, so things like this are a real pain and tempt me back to windows a bit! "Nooooo"

Beans

Re: Ubuntu wont run installers, in particular Mathematica

Have you given it permission to run as an executable? chmod +x or <right-click> -> Properties -> Permission -> Allow executing file as program

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio Development Release

Re: Ubuntu wont run installers, in particular Mathematica

I've never used mathematica, but I was able to find a couple simple guides that might be of assistance. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful:

How to install Mathematica 6,Linux,Ubuntu.

Mathematica Troubleshooting on Linux

Possible alternatives to Mathematica?
    Be sure to mark your thread [SOLVED] if your issue has been fixed!
    How to get answers as quickly as possible | Wireless Issue? | How to use 'Code' tags