Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux Mint vs Ubuntu?

Beans

Linux Mint vs Ubuntu?

Greetings.

I have tried Kubuntu and having some problems and disstatisfactory with it (you can read it in threads i started if you are interested). Alot of guys in the testemonial forums told me to:
    - Try Ubuntu, because its less buggy than Kubuntu and better for novice
    - Try Linux Mint, because it is even more user friendly and is based on Ubuntu, and doesnt have all those problems i have being a novice

So here i want to ask of you:
    what can you advise on the matter?

Personally i looked around the webs to find that alot ppl praise Mint for being easy, fast, and having all required stuff included in a distro (like codecs) but others say that its just Ubuntu with codecs and different wallpaper, so its a ripoff with nohing else?

There is also a matter that confuses me:
    - Is it true you cannot add more repositories in Mint? People constantly mention "after not being able to add repositories i had to go back to Ubuntu" or "you cannot add repositories in Mint"
    - What exactly does Mint offer over Ubuntu except installed media codecs? What are those fixes and how do they affect me?
    - Should i choose Ubuntu because it has more support and documentation available and has it really?
    - Will i be able to make alot of eyecandy out of my Mint desktop?
    - What are the reasons to choose Mint over Ubuntu if i know how to install those illegal(somewhere) codecs?

And the big matter about updates:
    - Does Mint include everything Ubuntu does by default? I mean, did they fork and went different ways, or does Mint take new version of Ubuntu every time and apply their patch database to it?
    - How exactly are those projects tied to each other, what if new version of Ubuntu makes some Mint fixes obsolete or incompatible with Ubuntu? What if Ubuntu makes something that is against Mint's ideology, will they still incorporate it or not

I just cant understand how can you develop two separate projects while keeping one a base of another... I mean there is problem A, Ubuntu does B to fix it, Mint aready did C to fix it, B!=C, what sticks in next Mint version?

PS: Dont tell me about political matters, because i know it already.
    I am a Russian, that means that a) I don't care (would even say i dont give a...) b) Even if would care, i'd care for Palestinian case, and not for Israel, because it is obvious for me who is the bad guy here. Don't be fooled

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Linux Mint vs Ubuntu?

-You can add repos to mint
    -Mint is more stable as it tries to be user-friendly (as Ubuntu tries to be cutting edge) along with easy codec installation
    -Mint is close enough to Ubuntu that 90% of support questions would make no difference if asked in -Ubuntu or mint (of that 10% the difference is minimal)
    -Eye candy can be gotten from any distro I've used

Updates:
    Mint is currently based on 9.10 which is still getting all updates but will soon be based on 10.04

BTW, ever hear that Good wood splits
    "Meddle not with roos; thou art crunchy and grasshopper-like" ※The SABRFL※

Last edited by ubunterooster; 1 Minute ago

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Linux Mint is "easier" for newbies to be sure. But that ease comes at a price: Choice, for one thing, because Synaptic Package Manager is crippled in Mint, designed to send you to the Mint Installer and Mint Updater instead. That's just one example. Now for a newbie, this may not be a bad thing! It's like having a "guardian angel" looking over your shoulder and preventing you from installing or updating software that could mess up your system. Just a casual count of all the "b0rked after update" threads in this forum is evidence that updates should be "screened" before being made available to users. For experienced users who are prepared and willing to deal with updates that may cause problems, though, this represents a "removal of choice" in a way.

Speed, for another. At least in the Gnome and KDE variants, according to a few threads in their forums. I played with the Xfce edition of Linux Mint 8 for a while and had no such speed issues at all. There's also a LXDE edition that is very fast (but LXDE is maddeningly buggy for me).

Lingering in the background and hoping to be forgotten, remains the Great Linux Mint Political Train Wreck. This is one reason alot of folks simply refuse to use it, no matter how awesome it may be.

"Under the hood," so to speak though, Ubuntu and Mint are very nearly the same OS. The difference between them is about 10 minutes worth of downloading and installing a few tools, multimedia codecs, and artwork.

-Robin

Beans

So is it or not. Is it a Ubuntu+skin+wallpaper+codec or not?

Do i understand it correctly that i cannot use Synaptic packet manager on Mint? OR can i? what are those restrictions you mention exacty? How does Synaptic "sends" you to Mint packet manager?

PS:
    As i said, i know that already Political stuff. I support this guy 100%.

If i would be strictly against something (like he is) i would not like to have him use something i made nor take donations from him.

Of course you dont get this power with GPL and OSS which is kind of anarchy, everybody is free to use it for any purpose (with limitations not including the use to terrorise, to kill, to exploit, to create violence etc.)

And because donation and support process is also "undirect" where you dont personally know those who engage in connection with you, he made the right thing.

Why would non pro-Israel people be against his action is to me a bugger, i can only say - probably because they are owned by their "ideals", not the other way around?

I mean, the person only said "I dont want money from those who i belive are murderers nor i want murderers to use the product of my labor, if it is possible, please"... I dont see anything wrong with that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ubunterooster View Post
    Updates:
    Mint is currently based on 9.10 which is still getting all updates but will soon be based on 10.04
    Nope. A version based on 10.04 was released some days ago.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Istrebitel View Post
    So is it or not. Is it a Ubuntu+skin+wallpaper+codec or not?

Do i understand it correctly that i cannot use Synaptic packet manager on Mint? OR can i? what are those restrictions you mention exacty? How does Synaptic "sends" you to Mint packet manager?
    Yes its Ubuntu with a different splash theme, wallpaper, extra package manager, and media codecs.

You can use synaptic, but Mint uses its own manager as first resort. Mint also has access to proprietary applications that synaptic doesn't, which it why it might tell you to use their download manager.

Beans

Could you please tell me more, what are those "proprietary applications" and why doesnt Synaptic has access to them? Are there proprietary repositories... with a monthy fee or something? Or is it a repository for a nonprofit use only?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Could you please tell me more, what are those "proprietary applications" and why doesnt Synaptic has access to them? Are there proprietary repositories... with a monthy fee or something? Or is it a repository for a nonprofit use only?
    You know Mint has there own forums, LOL. Most of us on Ubuntu forums use Ubuntu exclusively, and only have a "working" knowledge of other distros. I actually know more about Arch Linux (which I'm currenlty using) than I do of Mint (I haven't touched in 2 years).

Mint uses Ubuntu repos. For the stuff that isn't in the repos, Mint uses its own resources to get applications it believes its users want.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If I had to start over, I would be using mint due to the amount of difficulties Ubuntu has as opposed to Mint in default install. Shuttleworth's goal is a "cutting edge development" OS. Mint tries to be beginner friendly first, cutting edge second.

So, if you want the flash-bang-wow features, go with Ubuntu (and pray they work). If your goal is to get it to "just freakin' work", use Mint.

(Currently for me, Evolution crashes on start-up, empathy dies when recieving, Rhythymbox does not allow buying, UbuntuOne failed backup, Evince...※#*※〒!...!...is a pain (put lightly), eye-of-gnome is buggy....bla,bla...but I like the radiance theme!

Below are my complaints against Mint:
    1, GREEN!!
    2, It lacks some geek appeal

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The proprietary applications aren't in Synaptic for liscensing and ideological reasons which Mint avoids. You don't pay for the apps. I can't remember names of any right now, having not used Mint in a while.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast