Thread: Linux Certification

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Question Linux Certification

Linux has now become a full blown passion among my general IT passion since the age that I could use a computer.

I've been researching into Linux courses to train and get accredited qualifications that I could list on my CV in order to get a better IT job.

However I'm not completely sure about what to do due to my circumstances.

I need it to be, ideally, a purely online course because I travel so much.
    Also I'm not sure what sort of certifications are generally accepted as worth while courses in the Linux world.

Can someone point me in the right direction, show me what sort of qualifications employers would be interested in seeing when applying for a IT job?

EDIT:
    Obviously soon as I post this I find credible sites for everything I wanted literally listing off answers to any questions I have.
    Marking as solved!
    Firebrand Training was my solution.
    Last edited by Zintha; June 8th, 2010 at 07:51 AM.
    -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
    GO d+ s+:+ a-- C++ L++ P+ L++ E-- W++ N o-- K- w O M-- V- PS+ PE- Y+ PGP+ t 5 X- R tv b- DI+ D+ G++ e h--- r+++ y+++
    ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Linux Certification

Is that the same company as mentioned here?
    Read before handing over your money maybe!
    http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/s...ad.php?t=25269

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

You don't need courses to prepare for certification exams; you need a book. There's no way you're going to prepare for something like LPI-II or RCHE in a few days at some training camp (unless you are already well-prepared). Linux+ you could probably pass already without study.

LPI and RHCE are probably two best linux certifications. There are some free online guides, and you also go into most bookstores and buy a fat book to study (and they typically include practice tests).

If you feel compelled to take a preparation course, I would plow through a book first, then take the course as a refresher before the exam.
    Last edited by BoneKracker; June 8th, 2010 at 09:11 AM.
    Favorite man page quote: "The backreference \n, where n is a single digit, matches the substring previously matched by the nth parenthesized subexpression of the regular expression." [excerpt from grep(1)]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Any suggestion for a book? Or website with guides and tests?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Quote Originally Posted by Charlietje View Post
    Any suggestion for a book? Or website with guides and tests?
    An updated version of LPI Linux Certification in a Nutshell comes out at the end of the month (link here). I've read an older version of that one myself and it was good (very thorough and easy to understand). I've found O'Reilly books are generally pretty good.

Somebody else may have another opinion on that, and hopefully other books to suggest. In the meantime, I think you can find some free LPI study guides and/or practice tests online. A good drill is to take a practice now, before you start preparing, so you can get traumatized by how little you actually know compared to the l33t h@xor you thought you were.
    Favorite man page quote: "The backreference \n, where n is a single digit, matches the substring previously matched by the nth parenthesized subexpression of the regular expression." [excerpt from grep(1)]

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BoneKracker View Post
    You don't need courses to prepare for certification exams; you need a book. There's no way you're going to prepare for something like LPI-II or RCHE in a few days at some training camp (unless you are already well-prepared). Linux+ you could probably pass already without study.

LPI and RHCE are probably two best linux certifications. There are some free online guides, and you also go into most bookstores and buy a fat book to study (and they typically include practice tests).

If you feel compelled to take a preparation course, I would plow through a book first, then take the course as a refresher before the exam.
    Most helpful answer

I was considering the whole bootcamp style exam/learning process because it came highly reccomended by a friend who did the same thing however I would be trying to get into that already knowing I could pass the test.

Also great to know how many Linux learning books are out there, I will certainly be dropping $100+ on a few that also came reccomended not only in this thread but by friends.

Once I move to USA (later this year) I intend to do a LPI1+2 exam then push for RHCE if I feel frisky.

Thank you for your answers, even after marking as solved!
    GO d+ s+:+ a-- C++ L++ P+ L++ E-- W++ N o-- K- w O M-- V- PS+ PE- Y+ PGP+ t 5 X- R tv b- DI+ D+ G++ e h--- r+++ y+++

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by coldraven View Post
    Is that the same company as mentioned here?
    Read before handing over your money maybe!
    http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/s...ad.php?t=25269
    Yes, that is the same company, I mean more that it gave me the information about certain qualifications and that there are courses out there like this.

I don't have an intention of using that specific company because, like most of you probally do, I hardcore research into products/anything moneycosting before I spend and I found hundreds of reviews about it.

Beans

IT Exam Practice is a portal for online exams (including LPI exams) that is built and maintained by a network of volunteers. LPI 101/102 exams are also available - http://www.itexampractice.org