Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Arch REALLY worth installing?

Beans

Re: Is Arch REALLY worth installing?

Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles McKitten View Post
    Arch is good and fun to play with, but you WILL end up breaking it after a while (probably by just updating it). sudo pacman -Syu isn't always your friend.
    I suppose this depends on your hardware, and which software you use.

As I said before Ive been using it for over 2 years, in that time there was only once that an update broke my setup. It was back when the intel drivers were going through regression, to fix it I simply had to switch from xf86-video-intel to xf86-video-intel-legacy and reboot. Even then everything was well known and documented on the forums and main page. I will say that its very important that you pay attention to pacmans output though. There are often times where it will tell you in the output what you need to do after the update to avoid breaking your system. for example sometimes you need to change the names of certain daemons in your rc.conf and such.

If you're using the box for work, servers, etc. don't get Arch. If you want something to learn with, that's eminently customizable, and doesn't treat you like a child with everything carefully bubble wrapped, then go for it.
    I do agree with this.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bachstelze View Post
    No
    In your humble opinion.

There is NO accounting for taste, & yours is as valid as anyone else's.

Freedom of choice is what it is all about...
    Last edited by handy; June 8th, 2010 at 05:58 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

My experience - Arch is good. But not in the same league as Sorcerer, Lunar, CRUX or Slack. True, the rest are differently modeled distros, but it just doesn't measure up against these four.
    That's why I don't use it. Also, I am not a fan of AUR.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    In your humble opinion.

Their is NO accounting for taste, & yours is as valid as anyone else's.
    I never said otherwise. The long answer would be: "Why would you care about my or anyone else's opinion? Just try it for yourself, it's free."
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans

Also, I am not a fan of AUR.
    Any particular reason?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This has been asked and answered many times. Moved to Recurring.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

A fully set up computer is like a sandwich ready to be eaten. The operating system is the bread, something only necessary to hold the ingredients (applications) in while you enjoy your lunch. Sure, bad bread can ruin a sandwich, and good bread can make a sandwich better, but it really isn't the most important part.

So ask yourself this:

Is is REALLY worth it to bake your own bread?

The bread might taste better, and you can choose the ingredients, but pre-packaged bread is cheap already, and the bread isn't the most essential part of the sandwich anyway...

It is up to you. I've had home-made bread before (literally, not figuratively) and it was delicious. However, bread from the store isn't terrible. Unless you have a gripe with the available bread, I'd suggested buying it pre-made.
    My Laptop: Gateway T-6330u, 2.0 GHz Pentium Dual-Core, 3 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD - Ubuntu 14.04
    My Desktop: Lenovo IdeaCentre K450, 3.2 GHz Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 2.5 TB HDD - Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04 in VM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

1) What OS you used before Arch.
    Windows 7/Ubuntu

2) What were your initial impressions.
    Install definitely has a learning curve, but documentation is excellent and easy to follow. Arch install with full gnome used like 500mb less ram than ubuntu. Pacman seems to work just as well as apt-get in ubuntu.

3) After installation, is using it easy-to-use day-to-day?
    Yeah, but its repos aren't as extensive as ubuntu's and I ended up having to compile lots of stuff from aur (its pretty easy though, but annoying for things like chromium where I get nice daily updates in ubuntu's ppa)

4) Are you happy using it.
    I just recently stopped using it and went back to ubuntu but I did enjoy using it. You can get a really lean system and the rolling release is great.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Quote Originally Posted by Daisuke_Aramaki View Post
    My experience - Arch is good. But not in the same league as Sorcerer, Lunar, CRUX or Slack. True, the rest are differently modeled distros, but it just doesn't measure up against these four.
    That's why I don't use it. Also, I am not a fan of AUR.
    What have you got against Gentoo?
    Favorite man page quote: "The backreference \n, where n is a single digit, matches the substring previously matched by the nth parenthesized subexpression of the regular expression." [excerpt from grep(1)]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks everyone

I am going to try it on a virtualbox right now.

One question I have: I have followed numerous walkthroughs of installing Arch, and I have to ask:

AT WHAT POINT DO I NAME MY USER ACCOUNT!?!?!?

I have seen where you set your root password and where you change your hostname....but is your hostname your username?

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast