Thread: Start Ubuntu With No Monitor?

Beans

Start Ubuntu With No Monitor?

Hey
    I have Ubuntu 10.04. I'm trying to auto boot to the GUI with no screen or keyboard for I can access it using remote software, but when I try to boot, nothing happens....so I plug in my screen and it gives an error. Annddd...then boots into command.

Any way to auto boot into GUI with no screen attached?

It's a old 2400 dell

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Start Ubuntu With No Monitor?

Quote Originally Posted by xLinkToMidnightx View Post
    Hey
    I have Ubuntu 10.04. I'm trying to auto boot to the GUI with no screen or keyboard for I can access it using remote software, but when I try to boot, nothing happens....so I plug in my screen and it gives an error. Annddd...then boots into command.

Any way to auto boot into GUI with no screen attached?

It's a old 2400 dell
    When you start the computer with the monitor unplugged I believe the error is coming from the fact that you are trying to boot to a GUI without the monitor: Ubuntu sees no monitor and then drops to a CLI because quite frankly there is no use from running a GUI with nothing to display and use it with.

Once you acess the computer remotely (depending on how you do it) you will probably connect with only command-line functionality and (and again, depending on how you connected remotely) have to get into a GUI from there. Some methods only allow CLI functionality via remote access.

It is possible for computers to run perfecly capably without monitors and the acessed remotely becuase most (if not 97%) of servers are ran that way (except to set them up and set-up remote acess.

Scott
    "I use a Unix based OS, therefore I get laid about as often as I reboot."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

When you access it remotely, if it is in cli use this:
    Code:
    sudo startx
    it will start the gui

Beans

hm
    is there anyway to just disable this check?
    I'm using teamviewer, and it only works after the user logs in

Beans

also, i tried editing xonf file. it worked....buuut it loaded at 640/480 and i couldnt change the res.

Beans

I am interested in this also.

I have a home server but I need the GUI part because it is running Mythtv server, and it needs it. But it runs on a headless server and I would like to be able to reboot it without a monitor, mainly for the kernel updates, that are the only reason I have to reboot it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Austin25 View Post
    When you access it remotely, if it is in cli use this:
    Code:
    sudo startx
    it will start the gui
    But this only works if there is a screen attached.

Seriously, there has to be a way to do this. Everytime there is a kernel update I have to move a monitor from one of the computers to the server, plug it in, restart the server and then move the monitor back. Its ridiculous.