Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu won't login from cloned HDD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Unhappy Re: Ubuntu won't login from cloned HDD.

I tried booting from each of the HD individually. The Ubuntu and /home in the old HD works normal. I booted from Live CD and manually copied the contents of my /home from old to new. Now the error messages are gone, only that there are no Desktop, gnome panel, my settings are gone etc. But the Cairo-dock is still there and I can do almost all things from that. I also tried the terminal by Ctrl+Alt+F1 and I was able to login successfully.

When i do
    Code:
    sudo dd if=/dev/sdv9 of=/dev/sda9
    an I/O error is returned.

I will reinstall Ubuntu if the cloning could not be completed successfully as a last resort.
    How can I use a signature in forums?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu won't login from cloned HDD.

Quote Originally Posted by hariks0 View Post
    I tried booting from each of the HD individually. The Ubuntu and /home in the old HD works normal. I booted from Live CD and manually copied the contents of my /home from old to new. Now the error messages are gone, only that there are no Desktop, gnome panel, my settings are gone etc. But the Cairo-dock is still there and I can do almost all things from that. I also tried the terminal by Ctrl+Alt+F1 and I was able to login successfully.

When i do
    Code:
    sudo dd if=/dev/sdv9 of=/dev/sda9
    an I/O error is returned.

I will reinstall Ubuntu if the cloning could not be completed successfully as a last resort.
    how did you copy home? rsync -av? You'll need to keep your permissions intact.Assuming you have the same userid (number) under both computers.
    I'm a little confused as on the one hand you used dd to take a direct image, and on the other you 'manually copied'.

Anyway - as I said before I've little experience with cloning, but I'm sure someone out there has written a howto.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Cool Re: Ubuntu won't login from cloned HDD.

Hellow bcbc,

I first tried the 'dd' command and later - due to the I/O error message - manually copied the contents of my /home from the old HD to the new HD. Both by booting from a live CD.

I do nt know anything about 'rync -av'. Can you please elaborate a bit ?

Thank you.
    How can I use a signature in forums?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu won't login from cloned HDD.

rsync is a file transfer program capable of efficient remote update via a fast differencing algorithm.

-a, --archive archive mode; equals -rlptgoD (no -H,-A,-X)
    r - recursive
    l - links (symlinks)
    p - preserve permissions
    t - preserve modification times
    g - preserve group
    o - preserve owner
    D - preserve device files and special files

v is just verbose (no big deal).

If you are trying to make a straight copy especially to a cloned machine with the same userids etc., you want all your ownership/permissions etc to be preserved. So that's how I'd do it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12