Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My opinion about Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

My opinion about Ubuntu

Hi there,
    I know nobodys care what's my apinion. But I will tel you anyway.
    I think Ubuntu is already very "friendly user", but there is two things making it not user frienly.

1. Bugs - Many bugs isn't fixed event today, new realeases comes with ol bugs, and event bug'er than before.
    2. Ubuntu versions - I dont know how tai say it english, but there is all the time new realeases of Ubuntu, like Windows. I mean Windows Xp = Ubuntu 9.04LTS, Windows Vista = 9.10, Windows 7 = Ubuntu 10.04LTS. If you whant to upgrade, you must re-install Ubuntu's. I dont talk about "apt-get dist-upgrade", because it's su*ks.

I think it's time stop realeasing new versions, and start fixing bugs. And make easer distro upgrade, not re-install all the system, but make new realeases came with "apt-get upgrade".

P.S. Sorry for bad english.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: My apinion about Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by UT8F View Post
    Hi there,
    I know nobodys care what's my apinion. But I will tel you anyway.
    I think Ubuntu is already very "friendly user", but there is two things making it not user frienly.

1. Bugs - Many bugs isn't fixed event today, new realeases comes with ol bugs, and event bug'er than before.
    2. Ubuntu versions - I dont know how tai say it english, but there is all the time new realeases of Ubuntu, like Windows. I mean Windows Xp = Ubuntu 9.04LTS, Windows Vista = 9.10, Windows 7 = Ubuntu 10.04LTS. If you whant to upgrade, you must re-install Ubuntu's. I dont talk about "apt-get dist-upgrade", because it's su*ks.

I think it's time stop realeasing new versions, and start fixing bugs. And make easer distro upgrade, not re-install all the system, but make new realeases came with "apt-get upgrade".

P.S. Sorry for bad english.
    I agree. The 6-month release cycle is too limited. It's amazing that LinuxMint (Ubuntu based) often fixes many of the bugs Ubuntu suffers from.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If you have a running system, why do you need to always upgrade? If you want to stick to a more stable system, then use the LTS releases.

Also, I didn't need to do a reinstall since Dapper Drake, I always used the Upgrade Manager to upgrade my system and I have Ubuntu running on three different machines. Admittedly, I normally wait a few month before I upgrade to a new release (e.g. I will upgrade to 10.04 in two month). I also have the urge to play with the newest and latest. But for that I have a VirtualBox machine running with the upcoming release (I just installed a 10.10 version as a virtual image).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

If I wanth to stick with the latest realease, than what?
    "apt-get dist-upgrade" isnt smart think.

And there is bugs, like: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/201225

It's didint fixed more thant 2 years, so I need new Ubuntu version with the same bug? No! I need stable system with fixed bug...

Beans

Mr UT8F. You should give Debian a go.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by UT8F View Post
    If I wanth to stick with the latest realease, than what?
    "apt-get dist-upgrade" isnt smart think.

And there is bugs, like: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/201225

It's didint fixed more thant 2 years, so I need new Ubuntu version with the same bug? No! I need stable system with fixed bug...
    "This bug affects 6 people."

Many of the Ubuntu (or any version of Linux) "bugs" are hardware related; with so many different machines out there, it's virtually impossible to run perfectly on all of them. Ubuntu 9.04 and 9.10 run perfectly on my Acer Aspire One; 10.04 is completely unusable. If/when they fix the problem (which seems to be related to grub), I'll upgrade.

You might be happier with a Mac, which tightly couples OS and hardware. There are still bugs; one incremental update to OS X 10.5 killed CUPS printing from my iMac for about 6 months; they, magically, it started working again. The completely bug-free computer/OS has not yet been invented.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

1. we already k,ow there are bugs. We even know which ones. There's even software maintain lists of bugs and track what's happening to them

2. apt-get dist-upgrade is NOT the right way to do a release upgrade.

and that's why people won't care about your opinion: you're not informed, and you're not telling anything we don't already know.

Recurring Discussions is that way ->

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by jtuchscherer View Post
    If you want to stick to a more stable system, then use the LTS releases.
    Exactly. That's what they're for. Install the LTS and you don't have to bother with upgrades or reinstalls for the next three years.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

No software on earth is relesed bug free, its a blatant lie if they say so and delusional to expect it. MINT is nothing but Ubuntu so if you find Ubuntu buggy, MINT will be same. Whatever little bugs are there are ironed out within few weeks of release by hard working Ubuntu devs. As for six month release cycle being too short, no one is forcing one to abandon LTS for six month cycle, thats up to one's choice and those who like cutting edge, go for it. Btw, Fedora 13 release had 110 mb of updates right after install. Think about that.
    The finding of unity in variety is really what we call knowledge..... Vivekananda.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

And why not test a release with the LiveCD first to see if it is to your liking and whether there are things that may cause problems later?

+1 to all the suggestions about LTS.

Before upgrading ask yourself whether you really need the latest and greatest and read posts on the forums to see what kind of issues are being discussed and whether they are likely to affect you.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast