Hidden!

Re: How to File Share in Ubuntu 10.04 Easily and using GUI's only

nice tutorial. *bookmarks page*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Landau View Post
    Bug filed for those who have to fiddle with /etc/smb.conf.

If it affects you, feel free to vote for it.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ba/+bug/592610
    Thanks for the bug report
    please do vote
    It's Nice How Free From the Restraints of Reality you are...

Beans
    Distro

There are also some other related threads:
    Paddy Landau's thread
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1491092
    with a work around

Wolfrage's better solution:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1502265

A bug [please subscribe]:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ba/+bug/592610

My thread from a couple of weeks ago:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1491180

The community of developers has spent many hours developing this capability, too bad it doesn't work, without a bunch of fiddling around on the command line
    If you are reading this & would like to be able to share files with a couple of mouse clicks, post a comment on the threads & especially the bug

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Landau View Post
    There does seem to be a problem with the Ubuntu method. I have four different computers that gave this problem with fresh installations of Ubuntu and Xubuntu 10.04, despite following the official instructions precisely.

The main point is that we've found the solution.
    This makes me laugh and puke at the same time...

In following your thread Paddy, I have been all over the map trying to get Samba to run between two Lucid machines and I am completely disgusted with how ridiculous it just to get a simple share setup. In earlier installs, I simply right clicked in Nautilus and I was on my way. But with kernel testing and new installs.... we are where we are...

I have both smb configs exact, yet I can only see one machine in the network from each machine. I really do not care to even go any further than that. It is setup right, it should work very very simple.

Gonna just blow away the samba and go with ssh or NFS...

I apologize for jumping into your thread and the fantastic work you have done, but as you have said in this message, this problem roars it's head on any different install, ranging form 0 issues to totally dead and it makes no sense at all....

It is just a simple network share between two machines...And I cannot tell you how angry I am right now that it is like sawing off my arm to get it to work....I think I'd rather have my arm

To clarify, the share is there...just not showing up in the Network. I can connect to it by go to a location in Nautilus and the old smb://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/share name

It just should not be this hard and I did join the bug list...End of a long day and rant, and again, please accept my apologies.
    Last edited by VastOne; June 17th, 2010 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Clarity

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by VastOne View Post
    This makes me laugh and puke at the same time...

In following your thread Paddy, I have been all over the map trying to get Samba to run between two Lucid machines and I am completely disgusted with how ridiculous it just to get a simple share setup. In earlier installs, I simply right clicked in Nautilus and I was on my way. But with kernel testing and new installs.... we are where we are...

I have both smb configs exact, yet I can only see one machine in the network from each machine. I really do not care to even go any further than that. It is setup right, it should work very very simple.

Gonna just blow away the samba and go with ssh or NFS...

I apologize for jumping into your thread and the fantastic work you have done, but as you have said in this message, this problem roars it's head on any different install, ranging form 0 issues to totally dead and it makes no sense at all....

It is just a simple network share between two machines...And I cannot tell you how angry I am right now that it is like sawing off my arm to get it to work....I think I'd rather have my arm

To clarify, the share is there...just not showing up in the Network. I can connect to it by go to a location in Nautilus and the old smb://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/share name

It just should not be this hard and I did join the bug list...End of a long day and rant, and again, please accept my apologies.
    there is certainly no reason to apologize
    this is a situation where the squeaky wheel gets the grease
    Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel

the whole situation reminds me of all the Bullshine I was going through with my wife's vista machine before I installed a dualboot about a month ago. [she is totally happy & asked me why we hadn't done it sooner]. fiddling around with permissions & naming, bahh I just want to be able share a few documents & pictures.
    this should not be a big deal
    I'll stick to emailing doc to myself & webalbums for now

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Garthhh View Post
    there is certainly no reason to apologize
    this is a situation where the squeaky wheel gets the grease
    Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel

the whole situation reminds me of all the Bullshine I was going through with my wife's vista machine before I installed a dualboot about a month ago. [she is totally happy & asked me why we hadn't done it sooner]. fiddling around with permissions & naming, bahh I just want to be able share a few documents & pictures.
    this should not be a big deal
    I'll stick to emailing doc to myself & webalbums for now
    +1

I ended up setting up NFS is 5 minutes and that I knew I could do all day long...It's just that connecting an in house network drive, same credentials everywhere, should be a walk on the beach...

The only thing that really bothers me is how disparate it is to so many different users...

Maybe the great folks who develop such apps will hear these squeaky wheels and grab some WD40 and get this on a smoother track.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by VastOne View Post
    +1

I ended up setting up NFS is 5 minutes and that I knew I could do all day long...It's just that connecting an in house network drive, same credentials everywhere, should be a walk on the beach...

The only thing that really bothers me is how disparate it is to so many different users...

Maybe the great folks who develop such apps will hear these squeaky wheels and grab some WD40 and get this on a smoother track.
    I was doing a search to try & figure out what
    NFS means
    found this
    http://mostlylinux.wordpress.com/network/nfshowto/
    which seems to be a fair bit more complex than a right click or so

& found this thread

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...45#post9477045

I added the list I posted earlier

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Very informative. Thank You.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

share files on your network very easy with a app called "giver"

sudo apt-get install giver

or install "giver" via the ubuntu software centre

gui driven, designed for lan use, no setup needed

magic bit of gear
    Ubuntu user # 16304 www.nocleanfeed.com
    If someone asks you to sudo rm -rf anything, don't do it, and don't run any command with rm in it unless you know exactly what you're doing.things i have learnt changing from Xp pro to Ubuntu

Beans

You failed to mention one VERY vital point. When you install Samba, you have to find "system-config-samba" which is the GUI for Samba. If you don't install this then you can't find System>Administration>Samba

Still having problems allowing access to the files and directories inside the share.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast