How to File Share in Ubuntu 10.04 Easily and using GUI's only.
Disclaimer: Sharing files in this way is not secure; so please make sure you only do this on a private network that has been properly secured. Otherwise any user on the network can access and modify your shared files; you have been warned!
1. "Applications" menu ->"Ubuntu Software Center" -> in the search box type "Samba" then install "Samba". (Because even though you enabled file share and tried to share the files 10.04 seems to not actually install "Samba". Plus this installs the "Samba" GUI.)
2. This step was removed to prevent confusion.
3. "System" menu -> "Administration" -> "Samba". Enter your password. In the GUI that opens up choose "Preferences" menu -> "Server Settings" then the "Security" tab change the authentication mode to share and the guest account to your user name account. This prevents permission problems later on.
4. Choose the "Add a Samba Share"; the green plus icon; browse to the directory you wish to share. Place a check mark in "Writable" and "Visible". Then on the "Access" tab choose "Allow access to everyone".
5. Press OK; now your should be able to see the share from the other computers just choose "Places" menu -> "Network" then either the computer name if it shows up or select "Windows Network" -> "WORKGROUP" -> Computer Name then the Shared folder.
I hope that this helps as many of you as possible. If anyone has any updates please let me know. I am glad to see that this can finally be done all using GUI's now but it still should be as simple as sharing the folder with the "Sharing Options" selection in Nautilus. There is still work to be done on this in Ubuntu.2. Share the selected folder via natuilus, right-click on the folder and choose "Sharing Options" or "Properties" -> "Sharing" Tab. This may be an unnecessary step but at least we know Nautilus has applied the proper permissions for us; on the pop-up choose "Automatically Update Permissions".
I am going to jump on Launch Pad and look for all of the bugs that I can find related to these issues and see if I can contribute what I have learned and maybe I can try to organize some of the bugs to get a collective fix in the works. I will post back any updates.
Please If you used my method please note this is not the way it is supposed to be done in 10.04 so you are affected by the bug. Please go to this bug and be counted. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ba/+bug/592610