Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Linux's use in major supercomputers help the desktop users?

Beans

Will Linux's use in major supercomputers help the desktop users?

I read this blog post from Amanda McPherson (Vice President of Marketing and Developer Programs at the Linux Foundation) that argues that the overwelming use of Linux on supercomputers will help Linux in general (including regular desktop users) because "the work accomplished by the Super Computer manufacturers (IBM, HP, Fujitsu, Cray and so on) is poured back into the kernel"

Do you agree with her?

PS: I've created a poll on which you can vote here:
    http://techhaze.com/2010/06/what-sup...mean-to-linux/

looking forward to reading your opinion

Beans

Re: Will Linux's use in major supercomputers help the desktop users?

I suppose it does not hurt to have major corporations wanting to back your product.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The today work of a supercomputer, will made tomorrow by your wristwatch. So.. yes, so long there's effectiveness of the GPL licences: the work made on supercomputers will get back to standard linux kernel.
    What if someday login in your facebook account you're required to accept yet-another-update license agreement saying you're a total idiot? Quit Facebook, join Diaspora*
    my webcomics ~ my diasp*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Calixte View Post
    I read this blog post from Amanda McPherson (Vice President of Marketing and Developer Programs at the Linux Foundation) that argues that the overwelming use of Linux on supercomputers will help Linux in general (including regular desktop users) because "the work accomplished by the Super Computer manufacturers (IBM, HP, Fujitsu, Cray and so on) is poured back into the kernel"

Do you agree with her?

PS: I've created a poll on which you can vote here:
    http://techhaze.com/2010/06/what-sup...mean-to-linux/

looking forward to reading your opinion
    Linux in supercomputing is the ONLY solution because the OS can be customized to work how it is required.

Having use in a supercomputer means nothing to the average user, Much like explaining the inner workings of a car to the average driver, it has no meaning...all they want to do is turn the key, put it in drive and GO!
    Before Executing commands, understand WHAT you are doing and WHY YOU WOULD WANT TO DO THAT. Some Commands can be VERY dangerous if you are uninformed!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by jflaker View Post
    Having use in a supercomputer means nothing to the average user, Much like explaining the inner workings of a car to the average driver, it has no meaning...all they want to do is turn the key, put it in drive and GO!
    also cluster technology and virtualization also did mean nothing for averange user... until coreduo(quad/i5/i7...) cpu and virtualbox did came out.
    What if someday login in your facebook account you're required to accept yet-another-update license agreement saying you're a total idiot? Quit Facebook, join Diaspora*
    my webcomics ~ my diasp*

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jflaker View Post
    Linux in supercomputing is the ONLY solution because the OS can be customized to work how it is required.
    Not really. Although 81% of the top 500 supercomputers run the Linux Kernel, there are still other OS's present such as Unix (still customizable, I admit) or even Windows.
    Also, not all supercomputers use a customized OS. the Columbia supercomputer at NASA for example runs Suse Linux Enterprise 9.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by alexan View Post
    The today work of a supercomputer, will made tomorrow by your wristwatch.
    Will wristwatches exist tomorrow?

Beans

Who know? After all the Space Program gave us Tang and Velcro...

Beans

The key to the super computing is how fast it can process the numbers and how efficiently each processors communicate. The former is nowadays achieved by MPP system, but your desktop doesn't have that many processors that required highly sophisticated parallel processing argorithm.. And the latter. the efficiency of communications is crucial if you have many processors, but you don't have a system that needs it. Basically, the market requirement is totally different between super computers and desktops and they don't have much to share.
    Last edited by lostinxlation; June 4th, 2010 at 10:12 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

where can i get one of these russian super-computers, my java gui is just too slowwwww.........

There is no spoon
    Best ubuntu pocket guide
    Can't believe, i've just spent 50 years writing COBOL code - oh, and i still love it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast