Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Error while copying file (Error splicing file: Input/output error)

Beans

Re: Error while copying file (Error splicing file: Input/output error)

After my external crashed again, I unplugged it, plugged it back in, and tried to mount it. There was an error. I ran dmesg | tail and got this:
    [75935.353345] scsi 3:0:0:0: Direct-Access ATA eSATA-2 External 0 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
    [75935.353508] sd 3:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0
    [75935.353613] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdd] 8790531504 512-byte logical blocks: (4.50 TB/4.09 TiB)
    [75935.353658] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdd] Write Protect is off
    [75935.353661] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdd] Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00
    [75935.353685] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdd] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
    [75935.354343] sdd: sdd1
    [75936.054487] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdd] Attached SCSI disk
    [75941.965574] XFS: Filesystem sdd1 has duplicate UUID - can't mount
    [75963.280011] Filesystem "sdb1": xfs_log_force: error 5 returned.

-Kurtis

Beans

I'm having the same problem, both reading from and writing to various files. I re-formatted the external USB drive and it took a couple tries before succeeding. At first I thought it was a bad drive/interface, but I'm not sure now. I've not seen the error before.

Quote Originally Posted by ttocScott View Post
    If any of you earlier posters see this, are you using EXT4 by chance? I'm having issues with moving files over from a drive with EXT4 to another drive (with EXT3), and the reason I am moving the files is because I want to reformat the drive and also put it back to EXT3. I can move some folders, but if I try to move a file that is too big, I get that error. Then I have to reboot to reset everything, and I can start the process over until it happens again, and I have to reboot again.
    Scott
    Yep. I'm running on ext4, trying to copy to an external NTFS.

And renaming the folder I was trying to copy over to no longer include spaces worked for me too. Very weird.
    Last edited by B-Con; July 23rd, 2010 at 05:01 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have the same error too (error while copying file (Error splicing file: Input/output error)) when trying to copy files from a brand-new pc to a usb storage device. I've tried reformatting the usb device (ext3, ext4, FAT), renaming the file to be copied so it doesn't have spaces; I even created a new partition on my pc hard drive using ext3 (it was originally ext4 and thought it might be that) and I still can't copy large files to the usb device - files smaller than 600mb will copy (very slowly though), but larger ones won't. This problem is really annoying. Like someone else on this thread said, after the error message the usb device unmounts itself and when I plug it in again, suddenly it's read-only. There's nothing wrong with the usb device or the file either as they do the same process fine with my laptop (I have lucid on both computers).

Any suggestions?

Beans

Well, I think I fixed the problem, sort of. That same external drive I was copying to was having problems in Windows as well. Opening the files or listing the directories on the drive in Windows caused Windows Explorer to hang, sometimes indefinitely.

I had two identical external hard drive enclosures, so I took the drive out of the first and put it in the second one. It seemed like all my problems disappeared. Windows was able to read from the drive perfectly and I was able to copy data to it with no splicing errors under Linux.

So, it looks like my problem was fixed by changing hard drive enclosures, implying that it was the enclosure that was the problem. However, considering that so many other people report a similar problem makes me skeptical. All I can say is that it worked fine under my limited tests, I'll report anything else of interest if I find it.

Beans

Hello,

i get this error when I try to copy a folder from a VCD (internal DVD-RW drive) to a NTFS folder.
    When I copy the same in WinXP it works flawlessly.

Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx 32bit

This issue with copying VCD seems to be a general problem. I've tried on several computers with different hardware running Ubuntu Lucid to copy a VCD (to ext3 and NTFS) and always got this error - so I'm sure that this exludes possible hardware issues.
    Last edited by tontaube; September 12th, 2010 at 08:14 AM. Reason: additional information

Beans

Hi, also getting the same problem. I am moving files from a fat32 partition to a fat32 partition. Didn't seem to have problems going ext3 to fat32, or vice versa.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Same issue here, started seeing it when I started using ext4 on my home partition. The external I am transferring to is ntfs, so it appears the common denominator is ext4. I had transferred about 290 gigs(different ubuntu distro, pre 10.04, & ext3) prior to ext4 without ever seeing this error :/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I had the same problem copying a 700 MB file to a USB flash drive. It would consistently crash with this error, whether copying from NTFS or ext3.

The solution that worked for me was to plug the drive into one of the USB ports at the back of the computer rather than the front.

I'm not sure if this is a power issue or a USB 1.x vs USB 2.0 issue, but I've seen external USB drive manuals explicitly suggest/require the use of the rear ports, and it worked in this case.
    Last edited by chocolateboy; September 19th, 2010 at 07:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yea, this is super not cool man. I am trying to move a 4.2 GB file on to an 8gb flash drive and crashing every time with this error in every USB port.
    A computer allows you to make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Beans

Same problem here, copying from a CD. Turned out to be a fingerprint on the CD. Wiped it off and the error went away.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast