Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How TO: make Ubuntu 10.04 Bootable for PPC Mac

Beans

Re: How TO: make Ubuntu 10.04 Bootable for PPC Mac

Partitioning inherently wipes out the drive, in my experience. I don't believe you can repartition a drive and retain the contents of any existing partitions. Certainly not with any basic tools... Super Duper or some other utility might be able to do that, though I'm not sure.

The other issue is whether a Mac-formatted drive will let you install anything other than a Mac OS on it.

For me, I have a bunch of extra drives sitting about and the G4 Mirror Door has four drive bays, so I built the Ubuntu on one of the spare drives that had been written to zeros. This way, I don't have to touch my Mac drive or repartition anything to check out Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Unfortunately, at the moment, using another hard drive is not an option for me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Okay, Can someone help me setup a program called "Mac-On-Mac"?

Link to Wikipedia page about "Mac-On-Mac": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac-on-Mac

P.S. you can run linux on Mac-On-Mac

Thanks,
    Ben

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper1420 View Post
    Partitioning inherently wipes out the drive, in my experience. I don't believe you can repartition a drive and retain the contents of any existing partitions. Certainly not with any basic tools... Super Duper or some other utility might be able to do that, though I'm not sure.

The other issue is whether a Mac-formatted drive will let you install anything other than a Mac OS on it.

For me, I have a bunch of extra drives sitting about and the G4 Mirror Door has four drive bays, so I built the Ubuntu on one of the spare drives that had been written to zeros. This way, I don't have to touch my Mac drive or repartition anything to check out Ubuntu.
    Erm, the standard tools that many people use to dual boot (refit and boot camp) both allow you to resize existing partitions without deleting them. Granted, there is always a list of extreme data loss, but I've never had it happen.

Just saying, changing partirons without data loss is not impossible. It just takes a lot of time, and it's a little risky. If you had to delete everything, nobody would ever do it.
    Last edited by sha.goyjo; June 4th, 2010 at 03:19 AM. Reason: spelling
    Systems: MacBook Pro 5,5 | MacBook 3,1 | Compaq ML330 G2 | And misc. other desktop systems
    My Blog (tech, politics, life): http://leftofrightrightofleft.wordpress.com
    Annapolis Computer Help IT Consulting ETC...http://www.lighthousesolutions.info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

As far as I know, you can shrink OSX partitions with Disk Utility in newer versions of OSX on Intel Macs, say Leopard. I also read that people did it on a G4. I would make a complete backup first with Carbon Copy Cloner onto a firewire disk (not expensive nowadays for say 40 Gb). You can also shrink with gparted from the Ubuntu liveCD. But as I said, always make a backup.

http://mac.linux.be/content/successf...shrink-g4-mini
    Linux on your Apple Mac │ iLinux
    http://mac.linux.be
    http://www.mintppc.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Some experience on running Q

Although the Q Guest PC editing tool gives several choices, I've only had success running Q as an x86 processor emulator. Since it's a software emulator, it runs very slowly compared with native the ppc host speeds.

As a test on my 1.8 GHz G5 iMac, Q Version 0.9.1d118:

I downloaded the Puppy Linux 5.01 .iso (x86 only).
    (Puppy 5 is ubuntu lucid based.)

Configured Q (Hardware):
    - Use the .iso image as the CD-ROM.
    - Set Q to boot from CD-ROM
    - Set no hard-disk
    - Selected PCnet PCI network adapter.

Booted the virtual machine:
    - Approximately 1/2 hour to get to desktop
    - Approximately another 1/2 hour to use the first run tools to get the network up.
    - Approximately another 1/2 hour to select the Puppy Browser as the default and browse to this web-page.

So it is possible to make an x86 linux variant "run" on Q, although "crawl" may be a better term.

Perhaps on your dual G5, it will run a bit faster.

I've also gotten Windows 2000 to run under Q, but it's barely usable, and it runs at about 1/2 the speed of Windows 2000 on Virtual PC 7 for mac (discontinued Microsoft PC emulator).

Edit: Based on the Q Wiki, the Virtualizer portion of the Q project is currently ONLY for x86 virtualization on Intel Macs.
    Last edited by guidop; June 6th, 2010 at 11:23 PM.
    MBPro2,1 15" 2.33C2D Oct06 -rEFIt OS10.6/XP/LinuxMint
    PowerBook 12" 1.0 G4 PPC OS10.4/Debian Lenny - BCM4306(rev03) WPA works
    Shuttle XPC 3.3 c2D -grub Win7-64/ArchLinux-amd64
    Many VM's

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Yep, I have had about the same results as you. I just wish Q would work when not used as an emulator.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12