Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: beginners guide to torrents/deluge

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Northampton, England
    Beans
    273
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    beginners guide to torrents/deluge

    hi folks
    just wondering if anybody can point me at a really simple guide to downloading torrents (movies mostly) using deluge. i'm afraid it would need to be pretty simple as i'm new to the bit torrent thing.
    any help very gratefully received.
    cheers
    capn t
    the beginning of wisdom is the realisation of ones ignorance

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Beans
    1,222

    Re: beginners guide to torrents/deluge

    Well, no, because it's illegal to download movies There should be a few guides out there on how to download legal stuff though, like Linux iso's and movie trailers.
    There's no place like ~/

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Northampton, England
    Beans
    273
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: beginners guide to torrents/deluge

    okay thanks for that. hadn't thought about the legality aspect but of course...
    just wanted to try out the torrent thing since it sits here and doesn't seem to do anything. and i am completely stumped as to how to make it do something - anything!
    cheers
    capn t
    the beginning of wisdom is the realisation of ones ignorance

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    The New Forest
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

    Re: beginners guide to torrents/deluge

    download the isos from the releases page and seed them

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Port Angeles, WA
    Beans
    300
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: beginners guide to torrents/deluge

    Quote Originally Posted by capnthommo View Post
    hi folks
    just wondering if anybody can point me at a really simple guide to downloading torrents (movies mostly) using deluge. i'm afraid it would need to be pretty simple as i'm new to the bit torrent thing.
    any help very gratefully received.
    cheers
    capn t
    Here's a very simple guide you might find helpful:


    http://www.wikihow.com/Download-Torrents
    Lucid Lynx 10.04LTS amd64 user.

  6. #6
    wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Beans
    8,628

    Re: beginners guide to torrents/deluge


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    RiceMonsterland, Canada
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: beginners guide to torrents/deluge

    I won't tell you where to find movies (for reasons already discussed). However, downloading torrents is very simple. Just download the .torrent file and open it with deluge. If your connection is slowing down, you can also limit the download and upload speeds, as well as number of connections allowed in bandwidth settings under preferences. You also may want to change the location it downloads files to. That's also under preferences.
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Brazil
    Beans
    12,497
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: beginners guide to torrents/deluge

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe of loath View Post
    Well, no, because it's illegal to download movies There should be a few guides out there on how to download legal stuff though, like Linux iso's and movie trailers.
    Is not illegal download movies, as long as you download it from an authorized source or if the movie is on Public Domain or has a Creative Common license. There are some independent producers distributing movies via bittorrent. Nevertheless, most movies available in popular torrent sites are distributed without authorization, so depending where you live it might be illegal to download them.

    Some places where you can get legal movies or other types of media:

    http://newteevee.com/2007/03/03/ten-...egal-torrents/

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lunar Base VII- Sector IX
    Beans
    1,761
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: beginners guide to torrents/deluge

    Find the torrent you want to download~
    Click on "download torrent"~
    a little window will pop up, asking " do you want to save this file/ or Open with Deluge"

    No need to save the file~
    Just let it open in Deluge~

    It will then go into deluge and start downloading.

    Once it is finished~
    If you are unsure of where the file is~
    right click the torrent in Deluge~ and hit "go to folder" ,
    the folder where it downloaded to will open up, then you can watch your new movie or listen to your new music on whatever you like.

    <snip>
    freedom to do what you want, as long as you harm no one else..
    does still exist~ even if people are not supposed to know it. lol

    good luck, have fun!
    Last edited by lisati; June 2nd, 2010 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Illegal activities can hurt people. That's why they're illegal
    5.5 GB's Free Ubuntu-One Cloud Storage~
    Click Here
    _______________________________________________

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Beans
    1,222

    Re: beginners guide to torrents/deluge

    Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    Is not illegal download movies, as long as you download it from an authorized source or if the movie is on Public Domain or has a Creative Common license. There are some independent producers distributing movies via bittorrent. Nevertheless, most movies available in popular torrent sites are distributed without authorization, so depending where you live it might be illegal to download them.

    Some places where you can get legal movies or other types of media:

    http://newteevee.com/2007/03/03/ten-...egal-torrents/
    Ok, I generalised a bit, although I do tend to stream or FTP public domain movies anyway.
    There's no place like ~/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •