Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: need help installing ATI Mobility Radeon x1400 driver on ubuntu 9.10

Beans

need help installing ATI Mobility Radeon x1400 driver on ubuntu 9.10

title says it all. i've been at this for hours and most of the post that i have searched use different graphics cards and all the methods are confusing me. please help.

Beans

Re: need help installing ATI Mobility Radeon x1400 driver on ubuntu 9.10

Hmm.. I found this in just about 4 secconds: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=390238
    PC: Asus M5A87, AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 10GB DDR III 1333MHz, Nvidia GTX560 Ti 1024M, Samsung SSD 830 Series 256GB, HDD 1 TB SATA II 7200RPM
    Other: KB: Logitech G110, M: Logitech G500, 100/10M Internet

Beans

Smile Re: need help installing ATI Mobility Radeon x1400 driver on ubuntu 9.10

Quote Originally Posted by cloudxrocks View Post
    title says it all. i've been at this for hours and most of the post that i have searched use different graphics cards and all the methods are confusing me. please help.
    Good morning. I am not a Linux expert by any means but I recently spent about 7 hours doing the same thing for my Radeon 2600 card and was eventually successful.

Could you be more specific about which drivers you are trying to install, how you are trying to install them and what errors you are getting if any?

Matadormac

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

BASIC:
    Don't install anything. Whatever you installed (esp ATI "binary" driver aka fglrx), uninstall. Remove /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

That will default to "ati" (aka radeon) driver which "just works" in 9.10.

ADVANCED:
    If you want an advanced configuration (Karmic or Lucid only!!!), refer to this page: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/KernelModeSetting, and follow section "KMS with a Radeon card"

Beans

I just checked out that previous URL http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide

It appears to be pretty much what I did and was successful with my system only I used other resources.

I found that I had to fight through all the steps to a successful conclusion or my system was stuck in a low res limping configuration that I couldn't do anything about so stick with it and good luck.

Matadormac

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MatadorMac View Post
    I just checked out that previous URL http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide

It appears to be pretty much what I did and was successful with my system only I used other resources.

I found that I had to fight through all the steps to a successful conclusion or my system was stuck in a low res limping configuration that I couldn't do anything about so stick with it and good luck.

Matadormac
    Good example of WHAT NOT TO DO. This guide is way outdated by nearly 3 years. Karmic 9.10 works in a very different way. Notably, the drivers mentioned in this guide WILL NOT WORK with ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 due to changes with AMD/ATI proprietary driver.
    Last edited by michael37; March 6th, 2010 at 12:51 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid Ibex View Post
    Hmm.. I found this in just about 4 secconds: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=390238
    i've been on that post tried the methods and still not able to get it working.

Beans
    Distro

i've been on that post tried the methods and still not able to get it working.
    Same comment as previuos: the post is from 2007. Today is 2010. ATI as a company existed in 2007, it doesn't anymore (acquired by AMD). The driver support is all different now. FGLRX driver DOES NOT WORK for X1400 family in Ubuntu Karmic 9.10.

Beans
    Distro

General request: do not reply here unless you have experience with recent ATI hardware and drivers. The outdated info is ... outdated.

This (long) thread has the most updated information, but the summary is in my comment #4.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by michael37 View Post
    General request: do not reply here unless you have experience with recent ATI hardware and drivers. The outdated info is ... outdated.

This (long) thread has the most updated information, but the summary is in my comment #4.
    so what do u suggest i do?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast