Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: netflix on ubuntu---a how to please

Beans

netflix on ubuntu---a how to please

hi everyone.

I am new to ubuntu and my friend just gave me a free month of netflix---which i obviously cannot watch with ubuntu. Any help would be appreciated. I know windows can run through a virtual player, but i am not computer saavy and need some walk through instructions...

thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: netflix on ubuntu---a how to please

Go to a terminal, type:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install wine
    Then download the windows versions of firefox and silverlight.
    Go to where they were downloaded, right-click on them, go to the third tab, and enable "using as an executable". After you do that to each, right click on each and run with wine. Install them as you would on windows. After that is done, go to Applications>Wine>Program Files and run firefox. Watch netfilx as normal.
    Last edited by yamfox; June 1st, 2010 at 09:58 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by yamfox View Post
    Go to a terminal, type:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install wine
    Then download the windows versions of firefox and silverlight.
    Go to where they were downloaded, right-click on them, go to the third tab, and enable "using as an executable". After you do that to each, right click on each and run with wine. Install them as you would on windows. After that is done, go to Applications>Wine>Program Files and run firefox. Watch netfilx as normal.
    Netflix does not run in Wine.

If you want Netflix streaming there are several options:
    1. Use Windows
    2. Use Mac OS X
    3. Use Wii
    4. Use PS3
    5. Use an iPad

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    Netflix does not run in Wine.

If you want Netflix streaming there are several options:
    1. Use Windows
    2. Use Mac OS X
    3. Use Wii
    4. Use PS3
    5. Use an iPad
    I have recently discovered that Netflix is also available on Xbox 360 for those who own said peripheral.
    Linux systems are like LEGOs :
    they are infinitely customizable
    and limited only by a user's imagination.

Beans

Virtual Box.

Install a windows XP VM and stick it in a low graphics mode with nothing on it. This will allow it to boot up in 20-30 seconds instead of the customary Microsoft 8 minutes.

Install silver-light on that and enable 2D / 3D acceleration through the VM.

You can easily watch Netflix that way. Just don't do anything else on your machine while you are trying to watch movies or Netflix goes all Wonky because your "CPU usage" on the VM just jumped to 99% and Netflix will keep trying to slow their stream.

That is what I do.

Additional:
    Yes installing a VM with XP is a terrible way to make this work but thanks to the "license agreements" that netflix has with various companies who are partners with or flat out owned by MS it is the only way.
    The Roku IS LINUX so we all know nix is completely capable of receiving netflix. It's a money thing. Get a lawyer or work around it.
    Last edited by uRock; November 8th, 2010 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Removed the $ signs from Microsoft and MS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

They now have an Iphone app as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I'm of the PS3 persuasion when it comes to Netflix. It's snappy, doesn't require a disc anymore, provides streams in 5.1 surround sound with HD quality video; it's just far simpler to use Netflix when you have the PS3 working as a fantastic hardware platform that can hook up to anything that accepts an HDMI cable. No fiddling around with obscure, experimental software, or even "supported" software plugins for a web browser. If you don't want to spend money on a PS3, there are stand-alone players that do streaming video, including Netflix and Hulu-Plus, among others and they start around $60. Netflix belongs on a TV screen and you belong on a couch when you watch it... imho.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I have heard a lot of people say that Netflix doesn't work in Windows VMs. I will have to give it a try soon.

Moved to Recurring Discussions.
    Last edited by uRock; November 8th, 2010 at 02:22 AM.

Beans

I don't understand why other linux users suggest using netflix with wii or ps3 or other netflix-compatible consoles with a TV set. This thread is about using netflix *on* linux.

The easiest (and flawless) way of course is to use VirtualBox and install Windows XP on it. If you have an OS cd, it won't cost you a dime. Believe me, it just runs perfectly and is pretty fast.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Many people connect their PCs to their home theater, which is why they want to run Netflix on it. As soon as Netflix sent me a Wii disk I stopped bothering with it via the PC.

As for laptop users, I doubt running a VBox is worth it either. One good reason to keep that Windows install on Laptops and dual boot them. That's what I do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast