Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing additional files from LiveCD

Beans

Installing additional files from LiveCD

After successfully installing Ubuntu 10.04 from the LiveCD, I now need to install and run the files that allow using a dial-up external modem. These files are on the 10.04 LiveCD but aren't installed by default.

If I understand correctly, these files [Software Packages] are on the LiveCD in:

[DVD drive]:\pool\main\w\wvdial\ wvdial_1.60.3_i386.deb
    ...and
    [DVD drive]:\pool\main\w\wvstreams\ [3 sw packages]

My question: how exactly do I get these required files from the LiveCD and run them from Ubuntu? Is it a matter of simply copying+pasting to the Ubuntu 10.04 desktop? Or do I need to install the files, and then run them? Is the Synaptic Package Manager required? I'd prefer a graphical tool, instead of a command-line terminal at this point. I do plan to familiarize myself with these features, but as a complete noob a graphical tool would be best.

Related question:
    I'm unable to use a mouse+keyboard simultaneously on the new Ubuntu PC--the motherboard has only one PS/2 port, many USB ports, but we haven't yet bought USB mouse or keyboard.

As a workaround, I enabled the Ubuntu onboard keyboard, allowing mouse-clicks on the [virtual] keyboard keys. It seems to work fine.

But--when I tried to open the package manager, I got a password prompt. This creates a problem: when this password box is onscreen, the onboard keyboard isn't accessible--it's dimmed out, unusable--I can't click the onboard keybd keys to enter password. Is this a bug? If so, I'll be glad to report it--will read forum sticky "beginner's guide to filing bug reports."

Anyway, apologies for these very basic questions--I'm a complete Ubuntu noob, and Ubuntu seems fantastic; but with very spotty net access, I can't search for answers as much as I'd like. Normally I'd be able to search and I'm sure find the answer I need. Once I get dial-up working on Ubuntu 10.04, that'll solve the problem!

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Installing additional files from LiveCD

You can add the live CD as a software source using Synaptic. Just click Settings > Repositories, then make sure the 'Cdrom with Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx checkbox is CHECKED in the 'Ubuntu Software' tab,

The extra .deb packages you need from the live CD will be made available to Synaptic for installation.

Beans

Thanks, _Duncan_. I couldn't access Synaptic due to the Ubuntu onboard-keyboard password bug. I'll have a working keyboard tomorrow, so I'll be able to get to it.

After I install these required programs, I'll need to use command-line stuff to get it working, correct? This isn't a simple graphical UI-driven installation? I'm really beginning to wonder why this has to be so difficult.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Not a bug, it's supposed to make sure nothing is watching your keystrokes while you put in your password, so it knocks back every other program.
    Help me out! Go make a dropbox account from this link to get me more space! https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTU2ODUyNDY5 (You get the bonus space too!)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by tyler9 View Post
    After successfully installing Ubuntu 10.04 from the LiveCD, I now need to install and run the files that allow using a dial-up external modem. These files are on the 10.04 LiveCD but aren't installed by default.

If I understand correctly, these files [Software Packages] are on the LiveCD in:

[DVD drive]:\pool\main\w\wvdial\ wvdial_1.60.3_i386.deb
    ...and
    [DVD drive]:\pool\main\w\wvstreams\ [3 sw packages]

My question: how exactly do I get these required files from the LiveCD and run them from Ubuntu? Is it a matter of simply copying+pasting to the Ubuntu 10.04 desktop? Or do I need to install the files, and then run them? Is the Synaptic Package Manager required? I'd prefer a graphical tool, instead of a command-line terminal at this point. I do plan to familiarize myself with these features, but as a complete noob a graphical tool would be best.
    Yes, as the reply prior from _duncan_ explains, first add the LiveCD to the respositories in Synaptic. Then just start Synaptic and do a search for wvdial and wvstream, mark them for install and then click 'Apply'. That will handle all the installation for you (sweet!).

Related question:
    I'm unable to use a mouse+keyboard simultaneously on the new Ubuntu PC--the motherboard has only one PS/2 port, many USB ports, but we haven't yet bought USB mouse or keyboard.

As a workaround, I enabled the Ubuntu onboard keyboard, allowing mouse-clicks on the [virtual] keyboard keys. It seems to work fine.

But--when I tried to open the package manager, I got a password prompt. This creates a problem: when this password box is onscreen, the onboard keyboard isn't accessible--it's dimmed out, unusable--I can't click the onboard keybd keys to enter password. Is this a bug? If so, I'll be glad to report it--will read forum sticky "beginner's guide to filing bug reports."
    Well, I would consider it a usability/user-experience bug and the kind of thing that needs to be fixed or the workaround made more evident for new users so that they can have a mac-like user-friendly experience. So from that point of view I think it'd be a very good to add yourself to this bug report, mark it as a bug that apply to you, subscribe to it and leave comments and as much info as you are able to (ie. Apport info if you can).

However there might be a workaround:

"Similar to the Accessibility options of the Login Manager, gdm, you can have an onscreen keyboard appear after you move the mouse in a special way. See: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ac...usetweaksAtGDM

Here's the thread that might that came from which might be helpful:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ac...usetweaksAtGDM

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, _Duncan_. I couldn't access Synaptic due to the Ubuntu onboard-keyboard password bug. I'll have a working keyboard tomorrow, so I'll be able to get to it.

After I install these required programs, I'll need to use command-line stuff to get it working, correct? This isn't a simple graphical UI-driven installation? I'm really beginning to wonder why this has to be so difficult.
    One way around this would be to go to a terminal and type

Code:
    sudo synaptic
    It will ask you for the password and then bring up Synaptic. Then you're off and running in GUI land.
    Last edited by NUboon2Age; June 1st, 2010 at 06:23 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias_117 View Post
    Not a bug, it's supposed to make sure nothing is watching your keystrokes while you put in your password, so it knocks back every other program.
    Excellent, excellent, excellent point. But I still consider it a usability bug. Maybe if the workaround was active by default I could be okay with it. So I still say bug report it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

After I install these required programs, I'll need to use command-line stuff to get it working, correct? This isn't a simple graphical UI-driven installation? ...
    Not sure I got the question correctly. If you are referring to getting dial-up working via wvdial, then yes, since wvdial is a command-line dial-up tool.

Assuming you got the needed stuff from the live CD installed, I suggest marking this thread as SOLVED, and create a new thread with the appropriate title in case you need additional dial-up help.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by _duncan_ View Post
    You can add the live CD as a software source using Synaptic...
    @tyler9: If you face any problem on above method, try:

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeVita View Post
    ...Update for Ubuntu 10.04
    Although wvdial and dependencies are included into CD of 10.04 are NOT installed by default! Bug#400573
    You do not need to download them, just use the .iso or LiveCD or LiveUSB following the procedure below:

1. right click ubuntu-10.04-desktop-i386.iso and 'open with archive mounter'
    (or mount LiveCD/LiveUSB)
    2. right click on icon created (from 1) to 'browse folder'
    3. create a folder on Desktop (ex. named 'wvdial')
    4. copy into that folder all 4 .deb files that exist into .iso/LiveCD/LiveUSB
    ... /pool/main/w/wvdial
    and /pool/main/w/wvstreams
    5. use System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager
    and then from menu File > Add downloaded packages > double click Desktop and then the folder you created at point #3, click open, follow instructions to install
    Regards,
    George
    Last edited by GeorgeVita; June 1st, 2010 at 02:29 PM.

Beans

_duncan_:
    "You can add the live CD as a software source using Synaptic. Just click Settings > Repositories, then make sure the 'Cdrom with Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx checkbox is CHECKED in the 'Ubuntu Software' tab"

_duncan_, I did this, but am getting dbox "An Error Occurred" with a list of "Failed to fetch http://...(url)" listings.

Wondering if Ubuntu was incorrectly trying to download from the web sources listed on this "Ubuntu Software" tab, I cleared all the other checkboxes [web sources], and left only the "Cdrom with Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx" checked. I made sure to click the "Reload" button--and get the same error message.

Is it possible the DVD Drive isn't mounted? I read the Help topic about mounting Media drives--it says when the DVD drive icon appears on the desktop [it is on my desktop], that means the drive has been mounted.

What might I be doing incorrectly here?

Thanks for tips--

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast