Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flash plugin issues

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: FLASH-AID: remove conflicting plugins and install proper flash plugin version

Quote Originally Posted by Superluke View Post
    There you go...
    Close Firefox, then run these:

Code:
    sudo rm /usr/bin/firefox
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-divert --rename --remove /usr/bin/firefox
    Start Firefox, check the version and if plugins are loaded.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: FLASH-AID: remove conflicting plugins and install proper flash plugin version

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    Close Firefox, then run these:

Code:
    sudo rm /usr/bin/firefox
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-divert --rename --remove /usr/bin/firefox
    Start Firefox, check the version and if plugins are loaded.

Woohoo! That worked perfectly, I have Flash again ... but ... now I'm getting a bunch of:

Code:
    (firefox-bin:8494): Gdk-WARNING **: XID collision, trouble ahead
    and then a crash... randomly. Nothing to do with your add-on, which now works flawlessly. Thanks so much for your help! My wife doesn't have to boot to Windows to play Farmville now!

Beans
    Distro

Woohoo! That worked perfectly, I have Flash again ... but ... now I'm getting a bunch of:

Code:
    (firefox-bin:8494): Gdk-WARNING **: XID collision, trouble ahead
    and then a crash... randomly. Nothing to do with your add-on, which now works flawlessly. Thanks so much for your help! My wife doesn't have to boot to Windows to play Farmville now!
    First lets remove the extra Firefox you have installed:

Code:
    sudo rm -r /opt/firefox
    Restart Firefox and tell me what version do you have.

If you don't mind, I will ask a moderator to delete our post exchange from this thread, because it is not relevant to the discussion. I should have asked you to create a new thread instead of posting here, but I didn't imagine the issue would require so many attempts to fix it. Anyway, please create a new thread so I can continue to help with the new problem.

BTW, would be really nice if you could rectify your review about my extension at Mozilla. I normally wouldn't ask that, but since you gave it one star and the problem wasn't actually my extension, then would be really nice if you could do that. The real problem was that you diverted your Firefox to an older version downloaded manually and installed under /opt/firefox. Probably you didn't make the proper symlinks to the real plugins folder, so even after installing flash, that version of Firefox couldn't find it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Flash plugin issues

Moved to its own thread.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    First lets remove the extra Firefox you have installed:

Code:
    sudo rm -r /opt/firefox
    Restart Firefox and tell me what version do you have.

If you don't mind, I will ask a moderator to delete our post exchange from this thread, because it is not relevant to the discussion. I should have asked you to create a new thread instead of posting here, but I didn't imagine the issue would require so many attempts to fix it. Anyway, please create a new thread so I can continue to help with the new problem.

BTW, would be really nice if you could rectify your review about my extension at Mozilla. I normally wouldn't ask that, but since you gave it one star and the problem wasn't actually my extension, then would be really nice if you could do that. The real problem was that you diverted your Firefox to an older version downloaded manually and installed under /opt/firefox. Probably you didn't make the proper symlinks to the real plugins folder, so even after installing flash, that version of Firefox couldn't find it.
    It's 3.6.3 now... perfect. I can't seem to change my review... I guess I can post another one though I see what you mean. I wonder when I installed that other Firefox...

Beans
    Distro

It's 3.6.3 now... perfect. I can't seem to change my review... I guess I can post another one though I see what you mean. I wonder when I installed that other Firefox...
    Thanks. Are you still experiencing crashes?

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the new positive review. I really appreciate it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12