Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Panel takes ages to load on login with Lucid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Panel takes ages to load on login with Lucid

On Lucid, using the nVidia proprietary drivers, the panel takes about 15-20 seconds to load after loging in. Everything else works fine, I can use my desktop shortcuts and open other programs, just the panel leaves an empty space at the top and bottom, until it loads.

I don't have this problem on a laptop with Intel graphics running Lucid, nor when using Nouveau drivers on this computer. I read somewhere that it could be due to gdmsetup not having it's config file, but even after trying the suggested workaround (opening gdmconfig and changing settings so the config file is made) the problem persists.
    If I run "killall gnome-panel" the panel disappears (not surprisingly) and then briefly pops back up before disappearing again for about 10 seconds.

Could this be something to do with Compiz? With the Nouveau drivers Compiz is disabled, so Compiz is the only thing I can think of that affects the panel differently between the two graphics drivers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Panel takes ages to load on login with Lucid

Hi,

same problem here since a couple of days

Have you found a solution yet?

thank you

Beans

do you have no password set for the login manager?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by kerry_s View Post
    do you have no password set for the login manager?
    I must enter the password at login

Beans

okay, just wondering cause thats what caused slow panels on mine.

try creating a new panel, move everything from the old panel to the new 1, then delete the old panel, repeat if your using 2 panels.

Beans
    Distro

I don't have a password set on login.

I'll try the new panel idea, and see how it goes.

Beans
    Distro

Angry Re: Panel takes ages to load on login with Lucid

OK, well I tried the new panel idea, and it didn't work.

I've also tried with some new user accounts, and they have the problem as well. This is very strange.

Is there some sort of log that the Panel writes to about it's status that might give a clue as to what is happening?

Beans
    Distro

OK, I think I may have found the problem. It's the GNOME Keyring Service. I noticed that on my laptop the problem did not exist for my user, but did for others. I had previously modified the startup applications because the default set-up meant UbuntuOne didn't work. I disabled the three default GNOME Keyring Daemon settings, and made just one, with just "gnome-keyring-daemon" and no extra settings. After making this change for all users, the panel loads very quickly.

I have no idea why the GNOME Keyring Service causes the panel to s**t itself, but I've read that there have been many problems with it. I'll file a bug report.

I have noticed, as a side-effect, that sometimes the computer doesn't shut down with this GNOME Keyring set-up (requiring me to use a "sudo shutdown now -P" command at a terminal), and sometimes Ubuntu comes up with a dialogue saying "GNOME keyring manager is not responding. Shutdown anyway?" at shutdown. Not sure why this is, but it is only intermittent.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi!

Thanks for the tip with gnome-keyring! But had to do it another way.

The panel took 20 seconds to load even after killing the panel, and turning off keyring hopefully dodged that out...

But this account was for a guest user and it was too slow to be waiting there. Because usually it fired up the gnome-keyring-daemon somewhere switching users, and even if i shut it down, came back.

So i just set at System - Startup Applications (and it may be a shameful thing to do):

killall gnome-keyring-daemon

And the panels load in a flash like they should be.

My question is that does this hold any threats?

Didn't notice the shuting down problem, and the main user didn't lose his keyring.

(Just... Gnome, Key, Ring, Demon -- i think someone loves fantasy literature.)
    Last edited by omkrasu; June 28th, 2010 at 04:33 PM.

Beans

I also can confirm that disabling gnome-keyring-daemon solves the delay in seeing the taskbar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast