Thread: Completely Reinstalling Compiz in Lucid

Beans

Completely Reinstalling Compiz in Lucid

I've been having a problem with my main user account ever since I installed Lucid where after I enter my login credentials, the desktop always freezes. Since I've been having this problem, I created another user and have been able to login fine with this one. I have determined that the problem is with compiz, so I want to completely reinstall compiz, including any configuration settings. However, there seem to be a number of packages that go with compiz so I'm not sure what steps I can follow to accomplish this. Can anyone tell me the steps I need to take?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Completely Reinstalling Compiz in Lucid

Quote Originally Posted by 8181 View Post
    I've been having a problem with my main user account ever since I installed Lucid where after I enter my login credentials, the desktop always freezes. Since I've been having this problem, I created another user and have been able to login fine with this one. I have determined that the problem is with compiz, so I want to completely reinstall compiz, including any configuration settings. However, there seem to be a number of packages that go with compiz so I'm not sure what steps I can follow to accomplish this. Can anyone tell me the steps I need to take?
    Run:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge compiz*
    Code:
    cd $HOME && rm -rf .compiz/ .config/compiz/
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:compiz/ppa && sudo apt-get update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get install compiz
    Hope it helps
    Regards

Beans

Thanks for the quick response hok00age. I followed the steps and it worked for reinstalling compiz... but the login problem persists. I'm not sure what will fix it at this point, but I appreciate your help.

Beans

there was a problem with libplymouth that caused this symptom for a while, make sure you are up to date

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bildr View Post
    there was a problem with libplymouth that caused this symptom for a while, make sure you are up to date
    Amazing. After many, many hours spent trying to figure out this problem, one little package reinstall fixed everything. Thank you bildr!