Thread: Cannot Install Extensions/Themes in Google Chrome

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Unhappy Cannot Install Extensions/Themes in Google Chrome

Hey everybody!

I am having a problem installing extensions and themes with Google Chrome. Whenever I click on an "Install" on an extension page or "Apply Theme" in the themes gallery, the .crx file is downloaded and as soon as it is finished Google Chrome closes. When I reopen it, it gives its "Google Chrome did not shut down correctly, would you like to restore your tabs?" message at the top.

Before installing google-chrome-stable I had google-chrome-beta and chromium-browser installed. When installing stable, beta was automatically uninstalled, and after this problem came up I uninstalled both google-chrome-stable and chromium-browser in case it was a conflict. Upon reinstallation, I have the same problem. I'm wondering if it might be a leftover setting somewhere in Google's data file, but I'm not entirely sure where I would find that.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    ...:::{Matthew}:::...
    Ubuntu User # 17973 | Psychocat's Ubuntu Resources| Install ANYTHING
    Blessings and Love

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Cannot Install Extensions/Themes in Google Chrome

I had a similar problem with Chromium, until I installed the latest stable Chrome. In my case, clicking the Install button in the extension page wouldn't do anything.

Don't know why.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Okay, so I have an update on this problem. I installed the latest google-chrome-unstable package, and in it extensions work fine. If I roll back to the google-chrome-stable package, however, extension functionality breaks again, and where the extension icon was (Xmarks in this case) there is a blank space that, when clicked on, gives an error message stating that the webpage chrome://extensions followed by a seemingly random string of numbers and letters cannot be found.

Any ideas on what might be causing this problem?
    ...:::{Matthew}:::...
    Ubuntu User # 17973 | Psychocat's Ubuntu Resources| Install ANYTHING
    Blessings and Love

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewPlanchard View Post
    Okay, so I have an update on this problem. I installed the latest google-chrome-unstable package, and in it extensions work fine. If I roll back to the google-chrome-stable package, however, extension functionality breaks again, and where the extension icon was (Xmarks in this case) there is a blank space that, when clicked on, gives an error message stating that the webpage chrome://extensions followed by a seemingly random string of numbers and letters cannot be found.

Any ideas on what might be causing this problem?
    I have no idea. I rarely use Chrome.

Beans

Has there been any resolution on this? I can not install any extensions, using either the default Ubuntu "chromium-browser" (v 12), or by downloading the deb file directly from Google Chrome for v 14. I click on the "add to chrome" button on the web page for the extension (I tried both adblock plus and WOT), I see the rotating symbol on that button for a while, then the button reverts to the "add to chrome" again. Even after restarting chrome, chrome://extensions says "boo, no extensions installed."

Beans
    Distro

This thread is very old and refers to an old version of Chrome. Please create a new thread.

Closing.