Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Coffee

This is not about Ubuntu coffee beans and such, but a curiosity I have about US coffee cups featured on movies and TV shows.

In Brazil we drink coffee like this:

But on every US TV show I watch the characters drink on big cups like this:

Looks like a lot of coffee. I imagine it should be some diluted version of our coffee. But is it served hot or cold? What else they put besides coffee? Anyone who have already tried both could describe the difference?

I have been to US once, but I don't remember seeing such big coffee cups.

Beans

Re: Coffee

You drink coffee in the proper way in Brazil. The cafe americano is a pale shadow of real coffee. I enjoy espresso and Turkish style; everything else tastes like dishwater -- which may be why so many of Starbucks "coffee drinks" are mostly other substances.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Everything is bigger in America.

Beans

You've been watching classy shows then, the real dregs have this-

Hard to say if its 'diluted', but compared to expresso it would be. It is hot in there....well, it was when it left the store anyway. As for what else they put in there, all sorts of things, caramel and cinamon are what my workmates tend to get in the takeaway coffee they buy.

Beans

It is not what it is in

It is what is in it
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

In addition, I'd tell you, in formal situations, and and at many restraunts, our cups are like your top picture. I have many ceramic coffee "mugs" that run from 10 to over 16 ounces. On the go and in fast food establishments, we use the paper cup. The paper cup can be 12 to 20 ounces. I suspect most American coffee is somewhat weak compared to yours, although Starbucks us usually quite strong. I really like Starbucks (it is too strong for my wife) . . . but one cup is enough. When I make my own, it is on the strong side . . . but not as strong as Starbucks. I am likely to drink appox 4 12-16 ounce cups in the morning, and then no more for the rest of the day. I really like my coffee.

I like my coffee hot. I like it black. But sometimes, once in a great while, I like chocolate and whipped cream in it --- a caffeine and sugar rush!
    Last edited by cloyd; May 27th, 2010 at 11:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by libssd View Post
    You drink coffee in the proper way in Brazil. The cafe americano is a pale shadow of real coffee. I enjoy espresso and Turkish style; everything else tastes like dishwater -- which may be why so many of Starbucks "coffee drinks" are mostly other substances.
    +1

As someone who grew up in the United States and is now living in Melbourne Australia, what Americans call "coffee" is generally not espresso coffee. Proper coffee comes from an espresso machine and is wonderful. Alot of Americans drink coffee from those drip things. It's much weaker and they also put tons of milk in it.

You can get espresso coffee at starbucks, but it's not great. They really cater to people who are used to the weaker coffee so you can still get a coffee from an espresso machine, but it's so weak people will order a "super grande" or whatever it's called. Plus starbucks adds all their strange things until it's no longer coffee.

On a final note, in defense of the big coffees, people enjoy having something they can sit and drink for a long time, so a big, weak coffee is perfect for that I suppose.
    "Hello, I.T., have you tried turning it off and on again?"

My Blog - thoughts, opinions, etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Starbucks, and similar coffee places here, are like the fast food of coffee. A lot of the time people don't get straight coffee but other coffee based drinks like mocha, latte, cappuccino, etc... and they don't carry good coffee in terms of beans, roast, and brewing method.

On the other hand, the paper cups are portable and convenient.

I personally use a press

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by cascade9 View Post
    You've been watching classy shows then, the real dregs have this-

I have seen that one many times on NCIS. That's huge. I can't imagine drinking so much coffee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

In Sovietic Russia the coffee drinks you

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast