Page 19 of 47 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Acer Aspire 4820TG TimelineX Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Acer Aspire 4820TG TimelineX Thread

Quote Originally Posted by daveboy23 View Post
    i have ubuntu 10.10 (not sure how to check the kernel ver). anyway, how do i check if both cards are working? is there something i can write in terminal? i just wanna make sure everything works.
    thx guys
    For future reference, you can check you kernel version (in gnome anyway) by opening the system monitor, then going to the "system" tab. There is a command you can run, but I forgot what it is.

Regardless, as you are running Maverick, you should have a kernel which can switch to the ATI card.

Try running this to see if the switch mechanism is enabled in kernel.

sudo su
    cat /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch

then use "exit" to exit the root shell.
    If the cat command prints something like

Code:
    0:+:Pwr:0000:00:02.0
    1: :Off:0000:01:00.0
    Then you should be able to switch cards.

Beans

cool, i've got these:
    0: wr:0000:01:00.0
    1:+wr:0000:00:02.0
    is that ok? (i think it says both are on? what does it say anyway?)

something i just thought about - is there a smaller program that just have the switch graphix thing instead of the entire UCC?
    and second - there is a button that should control the switch (the P next to the CD OUT button) would that work for switching? can i make it work somehow?

Beans

Finally modified my DSDT table (taken from 1.19 BIOS ver.) and setted GRUB2 to load it on start. Result: working Bluetooth/WLAN switcher, both in Linux and Windows (Where it wasn't working from time to time). I have Arch Linux, not Ubuntu, but this is one of the biggest threads on my laptop, so let it be there
    In attachments: modified DSDT source (0 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 6 Optimizations) and ugly script for GRUB2 for table loading (place in /etc/grub.d)
    Also, what about graphics? When I'm turning off Radeon card, system hangs up on the next X server start. Seems turning off Intel is OK for me, but it's a bit annoying.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

New revision of ATI (from 22.10.2010) v.10.10
    http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

but when i install - graphic interface of linux not started .. so maybe some users have more lucky then me
    Last edited by wizards; October 25th, 2010 at 01:40 AM.

Beans

Hello

I'm planning to purchase a 4820TG (434G64Mn version with ATI 5650)

I've read the entire thread, but I can't be really sure that this version is ok with ubuntu

According this page (link has been found in this thread) http://kblackhat.blogspot.com/2010/1...4-on-acer.html, this ATI card is ok

So I guess I can proceed

I am wrong ?

What is the status with other components (wifi/eth/acpi)?
    I've quite sure that new bios provides fixes to these..

many thanks !

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by abbradar View Post
    Finally modified my DSDT table (taken from 1.19 BIOS ver.) and setted GRUB2 to load it on start. Result: working Bluetooth/WLAN switcher, both in Linux and Windows (Where it wasn't working from time to time). I have Arch Linux, not Ubuntu, but this is one of the biggest threads on my laptop, so let it be there
    In attachments: modified DSDT source (0 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 6 Optimizations) and ugly script for GRUB2 for table loading (place in /etc/grub.d)
    Also, what about graphics? When I'm turning off Radeon card, system hangs up on the next X server start. Seems turning off Intel is OK for me, but it's a bit annoying.
    wi-fi/bt switching works fine for me on maverick without any changes with Stock 1.18 bios

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shantzg001 View Post
    wi-fi/bt switching works fine for me on maverick without any changes with Stock 1.18 bios
    ...and I have 1.19 BIOS, and bt is constantly not working for me (tried Kubuntu 10.10 too)... maybe it changes from model to model? (AFAIK on different models there are different WLAN/BT adapters installed). I have Foxconn BCM92846 BT and Atheros AR5B95 WLAN adapters.

Beans

Removed modified table from GRUB2, loaded, catched similar bug. Shutted down computer, loaded, catched. Loaded default BIOS settings, loaded and - voila - switching properly working! Don't exactly know what was it connected with, but thanks for your answer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by daveboy23 View Post
    cool, i've got these:
    0: wr:0000:01:00.0
    1:+wr:0000:00:02.0
    is that ok? (i think it says both are on? what does it say anyway?)

something i just thought about - is there a smaller program that just have the switch graphix thing instead of the entire UCC?
    and second - there is a button that should control the switch (the P next to the CD OUT button) would that work for switching? can i make it work somehow?

Ok, this means that your computer can switch graphics cards. The specific info displayed means that the ATI card is active (as indicated by the + sign) and that both cards are on. Assuming the open-source drivers are being used, and you're using Ubuntu Maverick, the 3D support should be working.

In order to switch graphics cards do the following.
    First get root (for some reason using sudo isn't enough here)
    Code:
    sudo su
    then pick a command depending on what you want to do.

To switch to the ATI card
    Code:
    echo DDIS > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
    To switch to integrated Intel graphics
    Code:
    echo DIGD > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
    Then, log out and back in again to complete the switch. (Technically, what you need to do is restart x for the change to take effect.)

At this point, you can turn off the unused card using the following command
    Code:
    echo OFF > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
    If you're using the Intel graphics, turning off the unused ATI card will save a lot of power, making your battery life much longer.

I assume this is basically what the UCC does. However, I'm still trying to figure out a way to automate it. There is a post on Phoronix on how to do it in Fedora, but it needs to be modified a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by wizards View Post
    New revision of ATI...
    but when i install - graphic interface of linux not started
    Please, please at least try to read the last few pages of the thread before replying. I have tried to explain that the closed source drivers most likely do not work and may never work with the ATI switchable graphics. Could be wrong, but this is my understanding of the problem. Try researching ATI and KMS and switchable graphics if you don't believe me/want to learn more. However, the bottom line is that these drivers should not be necessary.

Would the maintainer of the table of stuff that works with this computer please make a note on your website explaining this.
    Last edited by RavensKrag; October 26th, 2010 at 03:25 AM.

Beans

Hi!
    There's a summary of what is contained in RavensKrag's post. In addiction there some scripts by Roberto Martinez for automate the switching.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HybridGraphics

Maybe it can be useful.
    I've not tried yet, I'll try as soon as possible.

Have a nice day,
    Michele

Page 19 of 47 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast