Page 7 of 47 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Acer Aspire 4820TG TimelineX Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Acer Aspire 4820TG TimelineX Thread

Ah, ok. I understand. I've had quite a few problems with Flash and the like. It was magically working in Chromium on another computer, so hopefully I'll be able to replicate that. Not holding my breath though.

Hope it works for you.

Beans

Hi all, I am really new to ubuntu and I would like to fix battery problem. can someone give me instruction of how to fix this?

I am running kernel 2.6.32-23-generic, ubuntu 10.04 64bit
    also how do i actually upgrade to newer kernel if i have to?

thanks

Beans

Smile Re: Acer Aspire 4820TG TimelineX Thread

@Trevino
    I use the kernel you provide , two questions

· linux-image-2.6.35-7-generic_2.6.35-7.11~lucid1.3v1ubuntu2~toi2_amd64.deb
    · linux-headers-2.6.35-7_2.6.35-7.11~lucid1.3v1ubuntu2~toi2_all.deb
    · linux-headers-2.6.35-7-generic_2.6.35-7.11~lucid1.3v1ubuntu2~toi2_amd64.deb

1. I can not find the switcheroo in the /sys/kernel/debug/.../vga_switcheroo file to enable the switch graphic card function.
    2. Is this kernel provide both vga cards driver ? I can not change the "extra" in the "Visual Effects".

Is any procedure I need to follow ?
    BTW, my timelinex 4820tg BIOS upgrade to version 1.13 , is this cause the problem ?

Albert

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by marincop View Post
    @Trevino
    I use the kernel you provide , two questions

· linux-image-2.6.35-7-generic_2.6.35-7.11~lucid1.3v1ubuntu2~toi2_amd64.deb
    · linux-headers-2.6.35-7_2.6.35-7.11~lucid1.3v1ubuntu2~toi2_all.deb
    · linux-headers-2.6.35-7-generic_2.6.35-7.11~lucid1.3v1ubuntu2~toi2_amd64.deb

1. I can not find the switcheroo in the /sys/kernel/debug/.../vga_switcheroo file to enable the switch graphic card function.
    This is very strange... Are you sure that you've installed it correctly? the uname -r command should give back you something like Linux <hostname> 2.6.35-7-generic #3v1ubuntu2~toi1 SMP Wed Jul 14 01:31:07 CEST 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    BTW the sys-node is in fact /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch !

2. Is this kernel provide both vga cards driver ? I can not change the "extra" in the "Visual Effects".
    Is any procedure I need to follow ?
    By default the notebook uses the integrated Intel card to run X (check /var/log/Xorg.0.log), so all the effects should be provided by the opensource intel driver... All the effects work to me (also if some plugins, like the blur one are too invasive).

I've never tried to run the flgrx driver, but it should run (maybe using the previous mentioned workaround)

BTW, my timelinex 4820tg BIOS upgrade to version 1.13 , is this cause the problem ?
    My Aspire came with that BIOS and everything worked like I've described. I've updated also to BIOS version 1.15 (using freedos, since I've no Windows partitions in my NB) and nothing changed from the user point of view!

Beans
    Distro

@Trevino
    About the pre-compiled kernel not having the switch:
    I don't remember if I mentioned it in this thread already, but I had the same problem, forcing me to compile my own kernel.

@ks_b
    I have posted a post in this thread previously with links to a few tutorials which show how to compile a custom kernel. Do not be afraid, it's not that bad. It just takes time to compile.

If you need step-by-step instructions, I will try to remember exactly what I did. Do not hesitate to ask.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by RavensKrag View Post
    @Trevino
    About the pre-compiled kernel not having the switch:
    I don't remember if I mentioned it in this thread already, but I had the same problem, forcing me to compile my own kernel.
    Try to do (if you don't have the debugfs mounted at all, and so no /sys/kernel/debug sysnode):
    Code:
    sudo mount -t debugfs none /sys/kernel/debug
    Last edited by Treviño; July 23rd, 2010 at 08:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro

As that was mentioned in this thread before, I had already tried it. /sys/kernel/debug was already mounted, but the vgaswitcheroo directory was not there.

It's no big deal, it's all working for me now.

Beans

@Trevino :
    Thanks your response,
    I fix the problem. The root cause is
    1. If we upgrade the BIOS from 1.04 to 1.13 or 1.15, we need do one thing is "Load the BIOS default value first". I lose my Bluetooth after I upgrade to 1.13. after I "Load the BIOS default value" my Bluetooth come back again.
    2. the BIOS setting must be "Switch " , the vgaswitcheroo will show in the /sys/kernel/debug/.../switch

Now I meet another problem , the VGA card can not switch. Someone meet the same situation like me .
    Any suggestion ?

@ All:
    Thanks all you done..

Beans

Smile Re: Acer Aspire 4820TG TimelineX Thread

@Trevino

The switcher is OK now , Just need to exit to the and login again .
    Intel integrated vga work perfect, but when I with to the ATI Radeon card . It's need a driver .
    So I install the driver, but failed.
    I can install it on kernel 2.6.32 perfectly , but the when kernel upgrade to 2.6.35 it will cause errors.
    I think it the vga card driver problem .
    @All
    Is anyone successfully install the flgrx on 2.6.35 kernel ? or where I can get the newest flgrx driver?

Albert

Beans
    Distro

@Trevino

The switcher is OK now , Just need to exit to the and login again .
    Intel integrated vga work perfect, but when I with to the ATI Radeon card . It's need a driver .
    So I install the driver, but failed.
    I can install it on kernel 2.6.32 perfectly , but the when kernel upgrade to 2.6.35 it will cause errors.
    I've never tried to run the fglrx drivers yet... I had no time for trying them. However maybe they don't support the new kernel yet (damn, closed drivers!)
    However if you want use the intel card by default saving power (and temperature), you can use scripts like these: http://forum.ubuntu-it.org/index.php...tml#msg3101266

Page 7 of 47 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast