Page 21 of 47 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Acer Aspire 4820TG TimelineX Thread

Beans

Re: Acer Aspire 4820TG TimelineX Thread

Ok i hope im not being annoying now, but i would kindly ask for help. I have the 5820TG and i am thinking about migrating to Ubuntu. So my plan is to install Ubuntu through wubi, run it for a while, learn the system, and then install Ubuntu as my 2. OS if i like it. My problem is that i do not know much about linux and can't understand half of the posts here.

I do not need to get stuff like switch-able graphics to work right now, but getting the ethernet/wifi and battery to properly work would be absolutely necessary for me. So if anyone has time to explain it in a step by step i would be very grateful. (i did update my Bios to 1.19, would this automatically fix the battery problem?).

Also wondering if people here with acer 5820tg installs the 32 bit or 64 bit version of ubuntu?

Thank you in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

@kugalskaper

It's easy as a pie

1/ Download wubi :
    http://releases.ubuntu.com/releases/10.10/wubi.exe

2/ Follow this howto
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide

After booting to ubuntu, don't be afraid if you find it slow, it's because wubi is not a native installation. In fact wubi will create a big file under your windows partition so due to ntfs fragmentation it can become slow.
    For testing functionality it's a very good way

Welcome in a real "human software"

Beans

@marm0tte. Thanks for the reply, but i think you misunderstood me

My problem is not installing ubuntu with wubi (i actually did it right after posting). My problem is that like people in this thread i have problems with making some of the hardware work. Especially the fact that the wifi is not working is a big problem for me. I have read through this post, and i know that the answer is here, but im not able to understand how to proceed as i do not know anything about terminal commands and compiling and stuff like that. I would post in the beginners forum, but my goal right now is not learning anything, just being able to use wifi on my computer.

Im not afraid of a little trial and error and i want to learn, but when the wifi is not working in ubuntu its difficult, because I need an internet connection to search for solutions to the problems i am having. Now i have been reading possible solutions, restarting in ubuntu, it does not work, restarting in windows, find something new, restarting in ubuntu and yeah you get my drift so i was wondering if someone could explain in basic step by step turns how to make it work because im getting very confused and frustrated right now .

Beans
    Distro

Ok, sorry for the miss-understanding kugalskaper

So as far as I understood the wifi, ethernet, battery and video opensource drivers works well in a fresh native install mode of ubuntu 10.10 on the Aspire 4820TG.

For your 5820TG it seems that not. So here is some points that you have to clarify in order to troubleshoot your problems :

- Do you have already installed the 1.19 BIOS version ? It seems to be the same for 4820TG and 5820TG.
    Here is the link for your 5820TG :
    http://global-download.acer.com/GDFi...C=Acer&SC=PA_6

- Is the laptop wifi LED turned on ?

- In order to compare your hardware config with the 4820TG, could you send in attachment the result of this terminal command :
    Code:
    sudo lshw>~/lshw_5820TG.log
    After the log file will be stored in your home directory

- Does the battery indicator is showed in the top right task bar of ubuntu when you unplug the power cable ?

Beans

@marm0tte. Yes my bios is up to date. i will reboot in ubuntu and get the log file. will post back here soon. Thanks for trying to help btw

Beans

I wasnt able to attach the .log file in the post (got invalid file type or something), so i saved it as a .doc. hope it doesnt matter

The battery seems to be working now, the indicator tells me approximately how much time is left, so i guessed the bios update did the trick there.

EDIT: oh and the orange wifi LED below the touchpad is not turned on in Ubuntu
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by kugalskaper; November 6th, 2010 at 12:55 AM.

Beans

Hi guys im new here but i red this thread for weaks
    I have a 3820tg and with the latest bios and ubuntu 10.10 nearly everything works fine, but my ati graphics doesn't have the right performance. actually with the standard driver its slower that the i915. if i try to install the cataclyst driver it crushes my system after reboot.(no gui, only comandline)
    so my question is: is there a chance to install the cataclyst or any other driver which could support my gpu (e.g. i read something about mesa drivers in an arch forum)
    plz help me because this would be the last step to make my 3820tg ubuntu-only ^^
    thx hutini

Beans
    Distro

@kugalskaper

Ok, so it seems that the only difference between 5820TG and 4820TG is that the 5820 have a little bit faster CPU, a diffenrent screen size maybe and ...
    the wifi network card is different

-network UNCLAIMED
    description: Network controller
    product: BCM43225 802.11b/g/n
    vendor: Broadcom Corporation
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
    version: 01
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
    configuration: latency=0
    resources: memory:da400000-da403fff
    According to this howto, you have two diffenrent way to make the wifi card working :
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...Driver/bcm43xx

1/ Ethernet card work ?
    If yes, just plug a RJ45 ethernet cable on your laptop to get acces to the web
    After, just type theses commands in a terminal :
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update     # in order to update the repository cache from ubuntu package server to your laptop
    sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source     # in order to install the wifi broadcom package
    After that, under the desktop menu System > Administration > Hardware/Additional Drivers, the STA drivers can be activated for use. Finally, you have to reboot.

2/ Ethernet card does not work
    Insert the ubuntu 10.10 64 bits desktop CD (if you don't have dowload it from here :
    http://releases.ubuntu.com/maverick/...ktop-amd64.iso

Navigate in the cdrom folder :
    pool/restriced/b/bcmwl

Double click on the file named "bcmwl-kernel-source_5.60.48.36+bdcom-0ubuntu5_amd64.deb"

After that, under the desktop menu System > Administration > Hardware/Additional Drivers, the STA drivers can be activated for use. Finally, you have to reboot.

Good luck

Beans
    Distro

@hutini

Hello,
    What kind of ATI card do you have in your Acer 3820tg ?

Beans

Thanks a lot mar0tte. Wifi is working perfectly now.
    I have another problem now. The fans seems to be running constantly, i browsed through this post and seems like im not the only one with this problem. no solution was posted though. do you have any idea?

Page 21 of 47 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast