Page 12 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Acer Aspire 4820TG TimelineX Thread

Beans

Re: Acer Aspire 4820TG TimelineX Thread

how did you put the "wl.ko" file to the /lib/module directory? did you copy it or did you do "make install" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrun View Post
    Sorry, didn´t work. I´m geting this error:

FATAL: Error inserting wl (/lib/modules/2.6.35-7-generic/kernel/net/wireless/wl.ko): Invalid argument
    FATAL: Error running install command for wl

And in logs I heve the same error:

wl: disagrees about version of symbol create_proc_entry
    wl: Unknown symbol create_proc_entry (err -22)
    wl: disagrees about version of symbol remove_proc_entry
    wl: Unknown symbol remove_proc_entry (err -22)

I didn´t find anything useful about this error.

Thanks

Beans

I have tried both ways, but non worked. Always the same errors

Quote Originally Posted by ari197 View Post
    how did you put the "wl.ko" file to the /lib/module directory? did you copy it or did you do "make install" ?

Beans

I have tried both ways, but non worked. Always the same errors
    hmmm ... sorry mate .. don't know what's wrong then

maybe you could contact broadcom support .. that's how I know that I need to patch the source first ..

Beans

OK, I solved it. I had installed kernel linux-image-2.6.35-7-generic_2.6.35-7.11~lucid1.3v1ubuntu2~toi2_amd64.deb and it some have did not work. I changed it for linux-image-2.6.35-7-generic_2.6.35-7.11~lucid1.3v1ubuntu1_amd64.deb and now it works. There are still some problems with suspend mode but that I will try to resolve later when I will have more time.

Quote Originally Posted by ari197 View Post
    hmmm ... sorry mate .. don't know what's wrong then

maybe you could contact broadcom support .. that's how I know that I need to patch the source first ..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I changed it for linux-image-2.6.35-7-generic_2.6.35-7.11~lucid1.3v1ubuntu1_amd64.deb and now it works.
    Where'd you get this kernel from?

Beans

I found this link in one of the posts here.

http://download.tuxfamily.org/3v1deb/acer-timelinex/

Quote Originally Posted by Elysius View Post
    Where'd you get this kernel from?

Beans

thanks to Trevino, his kernel (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...0&postcount=52) get my lovely computer work fine.

But I still have two majors problems :
    1 - on battery time : just 2 hours...

2 - fans : they are always on... may be cause for 1...

some searches on 2 give me :
    Code:
    - sudo pwmconfig

==> /usr/sbin/pwmconfig: There are no pwm-capable sensor modules installed

Code:
    - sudo sensors-detect

==> Sorry, no sensors were detected.

and
    Code:
    - sensors

==>
    acpitz-virtual-0
    Adapter: Virtual device
    temp1: +54.0°C (crit = +105.0°C)

Any other in front of that ?
    Any guru to give a workaround ?

Thanks for any help

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Fshy View Post
    Sorry if this has already been answered somewhere else, but I had the same issue as this person --

I've tried the graphics driver twice now, and it always black screens after a reboot. I *am* capable of resetting back to Intel drivers via the startup options area, but I wasn't able to find a way to fix this. Again, sorry if this has already been answered somewhere and I missed it, but it really is a shame to not use this excellent card. -- Fshy
    I had the same problem but went into the BIOS and switched the Graphics mode from 'switchable' to 'discrete'. I don't know exactly what that means but it loads alright now and I can get to the catalyst control centre alright.

Update. Oops, just saw #72.
    Last edited by mike81; August 24th, 2010 at 10:26 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Ah, sorry I wasn't around to help you guys with your wireless problems. I thought I had made a post about the need to compile new wireless drivers but I guess not. Also, I was able to bind the command "eject cdrom" to a keyboard shortcut using ubuntutweak in order to allow me to open the drive.

Has anyone been able to get the discrete card to shut off on startup? I have had to do this manually and it's a bit of a pain...I believe you can get about 5 hours if the discrete card is off. However, I think the claim of 8 hours applies to other models in the TimelineX series and not the one I have. Has anyone actually been able to get 8 hours, even in windows?

@Mike81
    Discrete mode in BIOS will turn off the integrated video card and only enable the discrete card. This will give you better performance, but worse battery life. Also, you will be unable to switch back and forth in windows, if that is an issue.

Beans

Shutting off the discrete card worked for me with this guide: http://asusm51ta-with-linux.blogspot.com/
    Some easier ways failed, most times I wasn't able to use my mouse or my keyboard after a reboot.

I get about 7 hours (discrete card off) on Ubuntu (with 60 Wh). But this was only doning some simple tasks, watching a DVD gave me only 3 hours, listening to music maybe 5? Don't remember.

Also I don't have a usual install, I installed Ubuntu Server and did 'sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop --no-install-recommends' -- this way I only have the software I really need and not too much running in the background. Plus the Server version is more power-saving (of course )

Maybe not the easiest way but getting 7 hours is possible

Page 12 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast