Thread: Watt rate unreasonably high when plugged in

Beans

Watt rate unreasonably high when plugged in

Hi to all,

I have just bought a new laptop, model Sony Vaio VPC EB1E8E, and of course the first thing I had done was installing Lucid. Solved the main problems regarding audio, I experience a minor bug: when the laptop is plugged in, in the page "Power Statistics" the Watt rate has unbelievable values, between 750 and 800 Watt, while it comes back to normality when I unplug it (to a rate of 20 Watt circa, "at rest").

I do not really think there may be such a waste of energy when the laptop is plugged in, otherwise this night my room would have become an oven, so I don't bother so much about it. Still, it is annoying since every time I unplug the laptop ubuntu realizes that I am using 750W with a battery of 42Wh and displays a window warning me that 3 minutes of charge are remaining, but fortunately it realizes the truth before actually making it hibernate.

I wonder if there is any easy solution to this problem (I have not been able to find it on the forum, I apologize if it is already accounted and solved...), but I do not want other people to waste time solving a problem that in the end only makes me do a click when I unplug the laptop...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Watt rate unreasonably high when plugged in

you might urgently mailed to sony support or ask for maintenace before you fire it up

Beans

I guess this is a joke? Where should all the exceeding energy go if the statistics were right? Even assuming that my laptop would not have exploded the first time I plugged it in, receiving 10 times the wattage it expected, my battery should be untouchable for the heat...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

the stats are probably wrong of course, but have a look closely to temperatures and remember you have a legal guaranty.

you might remember this kind of problem is not new and lot of users have had their system burned and more sadly: explosion, and it is not a joke, but you can google around about laptop+burn

Beans

Thank you, I will take a look at temperatures. At the moment, both processors are stable on 38°, so I think there is nothing to worry about. Furthermore, after the last reboot, the rate never raised above 0W... really a power-saving laptop, I have