Thread: System-config-samba crashes

Beans

System-config-samba crashes

When I run from the command line, I get this output:

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/sbin/system-config-samba", line 45, in <module>
    mainWindow.MainWindow(debug_flag)
    File "/usr/share/system-config-samba/mainWindow.py", line 82, in __init__
    self.samba_data = sambaParser.SambaParser(self)
    File "/usr/share/system-config-samba/sambaParser.py", line 185, in __init__
    self.parseFile ()
    File "/usr/share/system-config-samba/sambaParser.py", line 228, in parseFile
    section = SambaSection (token.value)
    File "/usr/share/system-config-samba/sambaParser.py", line 49, in __init__
    raise Error ("section %s already defined" % (name))
    NameError: global name 'Error' is not defined

I have removed and re-installed and get the same crash. I googled this and did not come up with much.

Does anyone know what I can do to make this work?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: System-config-samba crashes

Hello.

I had that problem, with the same output. It's about the samba parser (python)

I have checked my smb.conf in /etc/samba and I found that I had a section duplicated (it was printers). I think system-config-samba crashes when there are two or more sections with the same name.

When I removed the section duplicated, I was able to start system-config-samba without any problem.

I know your post was written several months ago, but I found it when I was searching for solutions, so I tell you my experience if it could be useful. Your problem could be the same or not.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Smile Re: System-config-samba crashes

Thanks for sharing this discovery, as it helped me when I ran into this problem just today. There are so many details involved with networking that it can be ulcer-generating to track them all down when the network fails. I dunno how my config file ended up with duplicate entries, but such was the case. Anyhow, thanks to your post, I was able to identify this mistake, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by RJRM View Post

I have checked my smb.conf in /etc/samba and I found that I had a section duplicated (it was printers). I think system-config-samba crashes when there are two or more sections with the same name.

When I removed the section duplicated, I was able to start system-config-samba without any problem.