Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still no Plymouth splash screen

Beans

Still no Plymouth splash screen

Hi comrades!

Please disregard the title - this is an issue with the plymouth splash, not grub.

I have upgraded from Ubuntu 9 to Ubuntu 10.04 and I have an ATI 4850 with propriety drivers installed. I have tried about every fix for this including:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-t...4-140810.shtml

and the startup manager workaround; I have been careful to set gedit to my monitor's native resolution 1440x900

Every fix has just given me varying degrees of graphical corruption and/or no splash image; I get a nice splash when shutting down. What's going on??? Help appreciated.
    Last edited by philinux; May 28th, 2010 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Title

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: still no grub splash screenh

Are you talking about Grub or Plymouth?

You're title says grub but the link is about plymouth, if it is about plymouth read the sticky at the top of the general help forum

If none of the fixes worked you may have to live with it, strange thing is mine wasn't working after the initial install but now is and I don't think i did anything to change it
    Last edited by _Mark_; May 26th, 2010 at 09:46 AM.

Beans

sorry -I do mean plymouth, if this is the splash with the ubuntu logo and the dots. (I'm a bit new to linux) I have followed the workarounds in the sticky.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you need splash screen to show up on boot then open a terminal and use this Code.

go to root
    Code:
    sudo -s
    fix from Scott James Remnant bug #540801
    Code:
    echo FRAMEBUFFER=y > /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/splash
      update-initramfs -u
    out of root

Code:
    Ctrl/D
    reboot and graphics drivers will start before mounting of partition and you
    will have a splash screen. If you want to read about boot up process the packages are
    ureadahead, mountall and plymouth.
    Last edited by garvinrick4; May 26th, 2010 at 10:43 AM.
    Remember hence where you come and pass it down.
    Ubuntu Forums member #899097 and Ubuntu Member:
    http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/index_main.html
    Main Page -

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by garvinrick4 View Post
    If you need splash screen to show up on boot then open a terminal and use this Code.

go to root
    Code:
    sudo -s
    fix from Scott James Remnant bug #540801
    Code:
    echo FRAMEBUFFER=y > /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/splash
      update-initramfs -u
    out of root

Code:
    Ctrl/D
    reboot and graphics drivers will start before mounting of partition and you
    will have a splash screen. If you want to read about boot up process the packages are
    ureadahead, mountall and plymouth.
    Hi - thank you -followed these instructions but now I simply have a new corruption (screen filled with vertical green lines ) at splash.
    Has anyone with my setup (4850 +proprietry driver + 10.04) actually managed to solve this?

Beans

bumping - still no solution - I would be interested to hear if anyone has a high res working splash with a 4850 Ubuntu 10.04 and ATI drivers?

Beans

anyone? followed all suggestions on this forum - beginning to think this is a bug with ubuntu and ATI 4850. strange thing is it worked fine with ubuntu 9

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by todosmentira View Post
    anyone? followed all suggestions on this forum - beginning to think this is a bug with ubuntu and ATI 4850. strange thing is it worked fine with ubuntu 9
    If you used startupmanager why don't you try using a lower setting like 800/600 or even the lowest just for the heck of it. Change the OS in the top of your boot screen's startupmanager, the default OS. For some
    reason your graphics drivers are not loading before mountall and you get no plymouth, no reason you are mounting already. I do not know what you have startupmanager set at but if it is high then you must have awful small fonts in boot. I am just setting yours like mine just because mine works. Do not have a graphics card such as yours and just a shot in the dark. Cannot hurt anything. Good luck partner.
    Remember hence where you come and pass it down.
    Ubuntu Forums member #899097 and Ubuntu Member:
    http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/index_main.html
    Main Page -

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by garvinrick4 View Post
    If you used startupmanager why don't you try using a lower setting like 800/600 or even the lowest just for the heck of it. Change the OS in the top of your boot screen's startupmanager, the default OS. For some
    reason your graphics drivers are not loading before mountall and you get no plymouth, no reason you are mounting already. I do not know what you have startupmanager set at but if it is high then you must have awful small fonts in boot. I am just setting yours like mine just because mine works. Do not have a graphics card such as yours and just a shot in the dark. Cannot hurt anything. Good luck partner.
    Hi thanks - tried this on several resolutions including 800x600 and changed OS (don't really understand what this means as the OS is installed anyway) and still just get corruption - vertical lines fill screens in different colours depending on res selected in startup manager.

Beans
    Distro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast