Thread: Need help installing HP printer

Beans

Need help installing HP printer

Hi guys,

So I recently just upgraded to 10.04 from 9.10, and lo-and-behold, my printer isn't detected by the Printing tool under System > Administration. Before Ubuntu was able to automatically detect and configure my printer for me, but not this time.

By using the lsusb command, my printer was correctly listed.

So I did some research, and tried out printconf. However, the tool didn't work - it detected my plugged in printer as well but complained about a file missing - I manually checked the directory in question, and sure enough, even though I have hplip and all the associated driver files installed by default, this directory does not contain "hplip.xml". Please see the printout below:
    Code:
    Configuring HP DeskJet 5150 on usb:/dev/usb/lp0 with hplip driver as queue
    "deskjet_5150".
    Driver file /usr/share/foomatic/db/source/driver/hplip.xml corrupted, missing, or not readable!
    Could not run "foomatic-combo-xml"/"foomatic-perl-data"! at /usr/share/perl5/Foomatic/DB.pm line 1078.

* Reloading Common Unix Printing System: cupsd                          [fail] 
    If printconf was unable to install all of your printers, please visit
    http://www.linuxprinting.org/ for printer information and support from fellow
    users.
    Anyone have any suggestions for me? Thanks!

Beans

Re: Need help installing HP printer

try this in the terminal

sudo service cups start

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

**** Driver file /usr/share/foomatic/db/source/driver/hplip.xml corrupted, missing, or not readable!

be sure that sources.list is clean: no mixed releases

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install -f

remove/purge hplip and hpijs-ppds with synaptic then reinstall them
    Last edited by dino99; May 26th, 2010 at 07:17 AM.

Beans

It worked! Thanks for the quick replies! I first followed dino99's instructions, restarted the computer, logged back in, and before I did anything else I did what giants7 suggested, and then I checked Printing and it was there! I'm not exactly sure which of your suggestions helped me, but it doesn't matter now - I'm happily printing away!

Thanks again - this was a fast solve!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

system prefs "prefered apps at startup" or so

check/uncheck what you need

Beans

I'm having the exact same problem with Debian Squeeze, but none of the methods here solve the problem.

Code:
    root@slix:/home/user# printconf
    Configuring HP DeskJet 3940 on usb:/dev/usb/lp0 with hplip driver as queue "deskjet_3940".
    Driver file /usr/share/foomatic/db/source/driver/hplip.xml corrupted, missing, or not readable!
    Could not run "foomatic-combo-xml"/"foomatic-perl-data"! at /usr/share/perl5/Foomatic/DB.pm line 1078.

Restarting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd.
    If printconf was unable to install all of your printers, please visit http://www.linuxprinting.org/ for printer information and support
    from fellow users.
    Any suggestions? Thank you!