Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: FLASH-AID: remove conflicting plugins and install proper flash plugin version

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: FLASH-AID: remove conflicting plugins and install proper flash plugin version

Released version 2.0.2, which adds an option to use Google Chrome plugin on 32bit systems and a couple of minor bug fixes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: FLASH-AID: remove conflicting plugins and install proper flash plugin version

Lovinglinux, I just installed 2.0.2 on a fresh 10.04 Xubuntu install and it is not working. It opens a terminal, but the terminal window doesn't actually do anything. It doesn't even open to show
    Code:
    bill@bill-laptop:~$
    Any ideas what the hangup in the script it executes could be, or what error I could have made? I use Flash Aid on all Ubuntu or Mint installs but this time something borked.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Disregard - the path to the terminal is different in Xubuntu and has to be changed manually to /usr/bin/xfce4-terminal. I changed the path and it worked fine. Perhaps an indicator somewhere to notify the end user of this requirement on Xubuntu would be of great assistance, and another for Kubuntu if it is different again in that DE?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TBABill View Post
    Disregard - the path to the terminal is different in Xubuntu and has to be changed manually to /usr/bin/xfce4-terminal. I changed the path and it worked fine.
    By default, the extension uses /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator, however it tries to detect gnome-terminal and konsole. If the extension finds one of those, it changes the path automatically, the first time you run the extension.

I will add /usr/bin/xfce4-terminal to the list in the next version.

Quote Originally Posted by TBABill View Post
    Perhaps an indicator somewhere to notify the end user of this requirement on Xubuntu would be of great assistance, and another for Kubuntu if it is different again in that DE?
    If the extension cannot find the terminal emulator, it displays a warning instead of the script. Additionally, there are instructions below the path field explaining what to do.

Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have a similar problem as TRABill. I get an error that says "There was an error creating child process for this terminal". It may be because I have reloaded 9.10 on my computer but this time I created a separate partition for home. My terminal window opens but it is blank when this happens. I really like Flash-Aid because it is so easy to solve Flash problems. Any help would be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

BUMMER ... I thought Flash Aid would be a solution for me too, but it wasn't.

I've been having flash problems ever since Ubuntu 10.04 ... actually since version 9.04 but the problems only got really bad since 10.04 which was horrible, and now 10.10 where I can cause crashes on flash pages at will. This page for example, has our YouTube browse feature with assorted video clips. If I'm lucky I make it all the way to a second clip, but I never make it past the third clip before my system crashes completely.

I'm not a gamer and I don't use any other OS, just Ubuntu in its own partition. All along I've been suspecting the ATI proprietary drivers from my 64bit dual core laptop but half the people I've spoken to in forums keep insisting that the crashes are flash related. Well, today I installed flash aid which did indeed find something to replace and to tweak. I didn't use the expert settings, just ran the test, and then did the install.

GOOD NEWS: My cpu didn't even start screaming when I started viewing videos on above site.

BAD NEWS: Never made it past the third clip before the system crashed ... hard reset required.

Granted, my FF pages do seem to load a lot faster now, enabling me to crash my system even faster (kidding) ... so I'm thinking of switching to openSUSE next since that's supposed to be one of the most rock solid desktop linux versions there is. Stability really means a lot to me and I've been fighting this flash situation forever now (or so it seems) ....
    Last edited by WinRiddance; February 8th, 2011 at 07:46 PM.
    PLEASE ... don't waste anyone's time (your own included) with foolish or utterly useless comments!

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by WinRiddance View Post
    BUMMER ... I thought Flash Aid would be a solution for me too, but it wasn't.

I've been having flash problems ever since Ubuntu 10.04 ... actually since version 9.04 but the problems only got really bad since 10.04 which was horrible, and now 10.10 where I can cause crashes on flash pages at will. This page for example, has our YouTube browse feature with assorted video clips. If I'm lucky I make it all the way to a second clip, but I never make it past the third clip before my system crashes completely.

I'm not a gamer and I don't use any other OS, just Ubuntu in its own partition. All along I've been suspecting the ATI proprietary drivers from my 64bit dual core laptop but half the people I've spoken to in forums keep insisting that the crashes are flash related. Well, today I installed flash aid which did indeed find something to replace and to tweak. I didn't use the expert settings, just ran the test, and then did the install.

GOOD NEWS: My cpu didn't even start screaming when I started viewing videos on above site.

BAD NEWS: Never made it past the third clip before the system crashed ... hard reset required.

Granted, my FF pages do seem to load a lot faster now, enabling me to crash my system even faster (kidding) ... so I'm thinking of switching to openSUSE next since that's supposed to be one of the most rock solid desktop linux versions there is. Stability really means a lot to me and I've been fighting this flash situation forever now (or so it seems) ....
    Maybe you should try Lovinglinux's flashvideoreplacer plugin for firefox, it works for youtube and a few other sites as well. The idea is not to use flash at all. It is quite wonderful. I think it should work for 64 bit as well as long as mplayer does, though I have never use 64 bit.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1487327

For watching youtube minitube is also great and it appears to use even less cpu apparently because it doesn't even need to work through firefox, which itself utilizes quite a bit of resources on older machines. Make sure you get the latest version (1.4) from a ppa instead of the outdated version in the Ubuntu repo. This one works nicely
    https://launchpad.net/~nilarimogard/+archive/webupd8

Again I am not sure if it works for 64 bits.

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Hi, lovinglinux

I read that the latest flash version (10.2)works with vdpau. I have installed flash through flashaid and it doesn't seem to be using vdpau at all even after I have disabled compiz. I think flashaid did install the latest version even though I don't find any installed flash plugin in Synaptic. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by static chaser View Post
    I have a similar problem as TRABill. I get an error that says "There was an error creating child process for this terminal". It may be because I have reloaded 9.10 on my computer but this time I created a separate partition for home. My terminal window opens but it is blank when this happens. I really like Flash-Aid because it is so easy to solve Flash problems. Any help would be appreciated.
    Change the path to the terminal emulator in the extensions preferences. If that doesn't solve the problem, then click the "Refresh" button, copy the content of the "Script Preview" tab, paste it on a new file, set the file to be executable and drag it to a terminal.

I will add an option to export the script to a file in the next version.

Quote Originally Posted by beew View Post
    Hi, lovinglinux

I read that the latest flash version (10.2)works with vdpau. I have installed flash through flashaid and it doesn't seem to be using vdpau at all even after I have disabled compiz. I think flashaid did install the latest version even though I don't find any installed flash plugin in Synaptic. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
    If you are using the default settings, then you won't see flash in Synaptic. The extension downloads the plugin from Adobe and extract it to the plugin folder.

You can check the version via Firefox Add-ons Manager.

Beans

Released version 2.0.2, which adds an option to use Google Chrome plugin on 32bit systems and a couple of minor bug fixes.

Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast