Thread: Creative webcam not working out-of-the-box

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Creative webcam not working out-of-the-box

Not sure if this is a 64-bit problem, so the prefix might be misleading but, ah, yeah.

Anyways, I'm accustomed to hardware working with ubuntu as soon as I plug it in. 99% of everything has worked with ubuntu 10.04 and the two previous installations I've done (9.10 and... 8.04? can't remember).

So I dig out an old-ish webcam we have, a Creative VF0410. Plug it in.... absolutely nothing. The few programs I tested it out in can't recognize it. (Once the iPod is done syncing on the windows partition, I can check which programs I used)

A forum search for "vf0410" turns up a couple results (see: 4), none of which have any good answers. One even said it worked fine. Google search doesn't help either. Anyways, I have no idea what I would need to get this to work. Help? I also have an old EyeToy from my PS2 which I used to use as a webcam, should I try that to see if it works?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Creative webcam not working out-of-the-box

Quote Originally Posted by Atreus10 View Post
    Not sure if this is a 64-bit problem, so the prefix might be misleading but, ah, yeah.

Anyways, I'm accustomed to hardware working with ubuntu as soon as I plug it in. 99% of everything has worked with ubuntu 10.04 and the two previous installations I've done (9.10 and... 8.04? can't remember).

So I dig out an old-ish webcam we have, a Creative VF0410. Plug it in.... absolutely nothing. The few programs I tested it out in can't recognize it. (Once the iPod is done syncing on the windows partition, I can check which programs I used)

A forum search for "vf0410" turns up a couple results (see: 4), none of which have any good answers. One even said it worked fine. Google search doesn't help either. Anyways, I have no idea what I would need to get this to work. Help? I also have an old EyeToy from my PS2 which I used to use as a webcam, should I try that to see if it works?
    Did you get answer to this?