Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Embedded YouTube videos don't work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Embedded YouTube videos don't work

I know is not a fix, but it could be a solution for you. I just found an extension that allows you to poup out videos from youtube and other sites: OCP VideoPOPOUT.

I have tested with embedded videos on my blog and it works.

Beans
    Hidden!

I got a new computer, and am now running a 64-bit Kubuntu. I made sure that in transferring over my files that I deleted the .mozilla folder and only exported the settings most important to me (bookmarks and settings for two add-ons). I figured I'd never see this error again.

Oh, how wrong I was.

It came back, defying all logic. So today I decided to get to the bottom of things. I found a site with an embedded YouTube video and I went through each of my option changes and add-on installs until the error happened. One by one I changed settings and refreshed the page (or restarted Firefox in the case of add-ons). I got through all the add-ons I installed on the new computer that I also had before the error started, and none caused the problem.

Then I finally encountered the error, and did my best to figure out what it was. In the end, it was my cookie settings.

I started from a fresh profile. The embedded video worked. I turned off third-party cookies and set the cookies to "Ask me every time." I tried again, and the video played. I went to YouTube, and I accepted the www.youtube.com cookie. Then I refreshed the page, and the error occurred. I turn third-party cookies on, and the error goes away. Now, the video worked when third-party cookies were disabled and when my cookies were set to "Until they expire." I even went to the YouTube page so that the cookies would be set, and it still worked just fine. But turning off third-party cookies AND clicking "Ask me every time" (while keeping www.youtube.com as an Allow exception) causes the error.

Needless to say, I'm still bloody confused.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Zeikcied View Post
    I got a new computer, and am now running a 64-bit Kubuntu. I made sure that in transferring over my files that I deleted the .mozilla folder and only exported the settings most important to me (bookmarks and settings for two add-ons). I figured I'd never see this error again.

Oh, how wrong I was.

It came back, defying all logic. So today I decided to get to the bottom of things. I found a site with an embedded YouTube video and I went through each of my option changes and add-on installs until the error happened. One by one I changed settings and refreshed the page (or restarted Firefox in the case of add-ons). I got through all the add-ons I installed on the new computer that I also had before the error started, and none caused the problem.

Then I finally encountered the error, and did my best to figure out what it was. In the end, it was my cookie settings.

I started from a fresh profile. The embedded video worked. I turned off third-party cookies and set the cookies to "Ask me every time." I tried again, and the video played. I went to YouTube, and I accepted the www.youtube.com cookie. Then I refreshed the page, and the error occurred. I turn third-party cookies on, and the error goes away. Now, the video worked when third-party cookies were disabled and when my cookies were set to "Until they expire." I even went to the YouTube page so that the cookies would be set, and it still worked just fine. But turning off third-party cookies AND clicking "Ask me every time" (while keeping www.youtube.com as an Allow exception) causes the error.

Needless to say, I'm still bloody confused.
    YouTube cookies are driving me crazy recently, because of ione of my extensions.

Try http://www.youtube-nocookie.com

This is not a third party site, it is from YouTube, but it doesn't save cookies.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    YouTube cookies are driving me crazy recently, because of ione of my extensions.

Try http://www.youtube-nocookie.com

This is not a third party site, it is from YouTube, but it doesn't save cookies.
    Thanks, but I don't think that would help. I mean, I like being signed in and having access to my channel subscriptions and stuff.

It would be nice to know why the YouTube cookies are causing this error and have it fixed somehow. I don't know if it's an issue I should bring to YouTube or Mozilla, though. I'd say YouTube, as it started for me on their April 1st redesign, but I'm shocked that it's not a "known issue" after all these months. You'd think that someone would have reported it, as from your comments I'm not the only one having this issue.

Beans

I've had this problem for months also. I was running Ubuntu 8.10 until a week ago - now I'm running 10.04 and I still have the same problem. My solution for months (on 8.10) was to just use a different browser for youtube. It's stupid, I know, but it is an easy solution.

EDIT: Ok, my fix makes me look stupid. I just add to add youtube to the "exception" list for cookies. I can't believe I never tried that - I was sure I had already added it to the list but apparently not.
    Last edited by humandraydel; January 11th, 2011 at 08:10 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by humandraydel View Post
    I've had this problem for months also. I was running Ubuntu 8.10 until a week ago - now I'm running 10.04 and I still have the same problem. My solution for months (on 8.10) was to just use a different browser for youtube. It's stupid, I know, but it is an easy solution.

EDIT: Ok, my fix makes me look stupid. I just add to add youtube to the "exception" list for cookies. I can't believe I never tried that - I was sure I had already added it to the list but apparently not.
    o_o

Holy crap. Adding "youtube.com" with no www or any other subdomains to "Allow" under Exceptions fixes the bug. I cannot believe how simple that is.

Beans

Hey there,
    some late thanks. Your fix worked for me. I had the same error for almost a year now. However, my girlfriend was using this computer most of the time and actually never cared too much. I just happened to find your thread today and it solved the issue.

Thank you so much for a workaround for this annoying bug, especially as I watch almost all youtube videos embedded into some other site.

C.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456