Thread: Dell OptiPlex GX280

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Dell OptiPlex GX280

I am in an IT Essentials class at school, and we did a section on Operating Systems and we installed Windows XP SP3 on 4 Dell OptiPlex GX280's. I got 4 discs with Ubuntu 10.04 and I wanted to check if all the hardware is compatible?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Dell OptiPlex GX280

According to the specs on that computer, it should run ubuntu without any problems.
    Windows is the best virus detector on the market!
    Ubuntu attracts Human Beings - Windows attracts viruses and worms

Beans

You could always give the live CD a spin and see how it gets on...
    - "Make me a coffee..."
    - "No"
    - "sudo make me a coffee"
    - "OK"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Don't know if this helps or not, but I have an old Dell OptiPlexGX270 dual boot with XPPro and Ubuntu Hardy.
    Slow as molasses in the dead of winter running the DOZE w/Firefox into on-line games but on Ubuntu playing the same games, it runs like scared jackrabbit.

Unfortunately, in the wonderful world of Linux, no one has ever written a decent autoclicker, much less a fully programmable autoclicker which I cannot possibly do without, handling on average 8 different games.

It would be humanly impossible to perform a minimum of 36,624 double clicks in 3 cycles per day without the use of a programmable autoclicker.
    SO, the old Dell usually gets booted into Windows to handle the slower games and I suffer the time-outs because it's so slow in Windows.

Strange too, since the better autoclickers for Windows are FREE!
    The one Linux does have, K-autoclick, is WORSE THAN any I've ever used! Even the hot keys for it have never functioned. It's actually a disgrace to Ubuntu to have it available as a functional program, since it's broken!

TTUL
    Gary

Beans

I used to have a gx280 in my office, ran SimplyMEPIS on it. Most Dell Optiplexes are very compatible with Linux, but the Intel video chipset may give you some problems.

I think think the gx280 is a 945 chipset, which should be decent. The 8xx chipsets are horrid with Linux these days.

This is, of course, assuming the gx280 will actually run. For some reason that particular model dies on us all the time (poor heat sink design).

James78 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!

I'm running a Dell Optiplex GX280 right now. 4GB RAM DDR2 @ 533MHz, 2 PATA hard drives, 200GB master, 120GB slave, 80GB SATA, 3.4GHz Pentium 4 w/EM64T, default video card (looking to upgrade that soon, and the power supply).

Anyways, it runs perfectly fine here.
    Last edited by James78; May 22nd, 2010 at 07:15 AM.