Thread: Questions about Cloud computing and Ubuntu Cloud server?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Question Questions about Cloud computing and Ubuntu Cloud server?

I have an idea of what cloud computing is but I would really like to truly understand

This is what I know or at least think I know please tell me if I'm wrong or if there's more to it.
    I believe cloud computing is like using a thin client the programs you are using are not stored or run on the local computer but on a server or group of servers. Also the data is not saved on the local computer but on servers.
    Some examples of cloud computer are productivity software such as Google docs. Another example is remote storage such as Ubuntu one or Dropbox.

What can Ubuntu Cloud Sever be used for? Is it just remote storage or is there more to it then that?

Thank you very much I know I'm asking for a lot
    Dan

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Questions about Cloud computing and Ubuntu Cloud server?

For info on the Ubuntu cloud server have a look here.
    Last edited by cariboo; May 21st, 2010 at 09:12 PM. Reason: fixed link

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    For info on the Ubuntu cloud server have a look here.
    There is a problem with that link. Try this one http://www.ubuntu.com/cloud
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by metalf8801 View Post
    I have an idea of what cloud computing is but I would really like to truly understand
    There's no official definition of cloud computing, it's a vague term used to refer to several things.

It can mean software-as-a-service and/or online apps like webmail or Google Docs. At the extreme end of that you could have a thin client type setup. Chrome OS leans strongly in that direction.

It can also refer to heavily virtualised environments, where virtual machines are used across a pool of hardware. A lot of hosting is done this way, customers rent a virtual private server instead of an actual machine. Large scale clouds such as Amazon's EC2 take this to extremes, where you basically have a single massive pool of available computing power, and people pay to use as much or as little of the power of the cloud as they need.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

nvrmnd

plz hold for a new response

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

From what I gather, it Cloud computing depends on what level you are looking at

For System Administrators, Cloud computing seems to be something akin to cluster computing, where the load is spread out among nodes and more can be spun up when the need arises.

For Users it means that everything you need is available online. For example, storing a Word document online which people have to download and use local applications isn't while opening Google Docs and doing the work and saving the files online is. A Wiki is a form of cloud computing as the tool for designing it and creating it is located on the web as opposed to download/upload model.

For Developers it means buildign it with the idea of being all self-contained and native-application like feel.

That's just the way I look at it.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    There's no official definition of cloud computing, it's a vague term used to refer to several things.

It can mean software-as-a-service and/or online apps like webmail or Google Docs. At the extreme end of that you could have a thin client type setup. Chrome OS leans strongly in that direction.

It can also refer to heavily virtualised environments, where virtual machines are used across a pool of hardware. A lot of hosting is done this way, customers rent a virtual private server instead of an actual machine. Large scale clouds such as Amazon's EC2 take this to extremes, where you basically have a single massive pool of available computing power, and people pay to use as much or as little of the power of the cloud as they need.
    QFT...

*shudders* may i never use that acronym again!