Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinion: A good language for a bug reporting web app?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Opinion: A good language for a bug reporting web app?

Hello all,

At the moment I am doing an assignment on project management at Massey university all the way down in New Zealand. We have to estimate the effort required to develop bugzilla using Function Point analysis. I have already done the work, but the final part (its just for fun) is to pick a programming language that you would develop it in.

I was just wondering if anyone had opinions on the languages out there that are suited to this. I was thinking Ruby on Rails, it looks very fast with it frameworks, but i have no experience so I'm just going by what I've read about it on the net.

Any opinions out there would be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Opinion: A good language for a bug reporting web app?

Wouldn't any web application require something like PHP, at least for the server side that is.

For the client I have no idea.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

So it's basically a web application with a database backend? The main choices that would spring to mind would be:

PHP & MySQL - along with Apache, the AMP in LAMP

Ruby on Rails - again, probably integrated with Apache and MySQL. Look into Ruby Gems and package management.

Groovy/Grails - rapid development but still access to the range of APIs in Java, e.g. Hibernate for database persistence. Pick any database really.

Java EE - many permutations possible but the major paths would be JSF and EJB or Spring and Hibernate. Need application server to run - e.g. Tomcat for Spring/Hibernate, but EJB applications need full-blown application servers like Glassfish and WebSphere. EJB is really moving into the global enterprise application scale of things, i.e. sledgehammer to crack nut.

Or there's the "other side" of course ... .NET

EDIT: @new_tolinux - the point (and indeed, value) of a web application is that you don't need client software. The browser becomes the client software standardised through HTTP/HTML/XML/JavaScript support so there's nothing to write or install for the client side.
    Last edited by r-senior; May 21st, 2010 at 11:05 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

You could also do it in python using django.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mordred View Post
    You could also do it in python using django.
    WIN. A friend asked me to take on a project for his startup, and at the time my knowledge of python was limited and my knowledge of django was next to non-existent, and I had 0 experience in web development. But I was able to complete it within a month. It works perfectly.

Having SQL abstracted away is probably the biggest win of all.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by r-senior View Post
    EDIT: @new_tolinux - the point (and indeed, value) of a web application is that you don't need client software. The browser becomes the client software standardised through HTTP/HTML/XML/JavaScript support so there's nothing to write or install for the client side.
    Ok, I was thinking about the bug-report system in *buntu, which has a client-side outside the browser (collecting system-info etc.).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by new_tolinux View Post
    Ok, I was thinking about the bug-report system in *buntu, which has a client-side outside the browser (collecting system-info etc.).
    still, the answer is anything. your app can do a post with XML to some webservice written in anything.

as for tomcat, it's not a j2ee server, it's a container. jboss and weblogic are other j2ee servers.
    I am infallible, you should know that by now.
    "My favorite language is call STAR. It's extremely concise. It has exactly one verb '*', which does exactly what I want at the moment." --Larry Wall
    (02:15:31 PM) ***TimToady and snake oil go way back...
    42 lines of Perl - SHI - Home Site

Beans

Just about any language (no actually, any language) with suitable I/O routines and DB bindings could do this. What I'd personally suggest is Python with web.py though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by r-senior View Post

Or there's the "other side" of course ... .NET
    The sad thing about that is first and second year at Massey University has been taken over by .net (I think they must be funding us), So most of the students will probably pick C# or C++.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by new_tolinux View Post
    Wouldn't any web application require something like PHP, at least for the server side that is.

For the client I have no idea.
    This. You'll have little complex logic here so why go with anything more complex?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast