Thread: Support for 6 Core CPUs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Support for 6 Core CPUs

Greetings All,

I have just purchased an AMD Phenom II 1055T 6 Core CPU to replace my aging CPU. The problem is only 1 core is visible to Ubuntu, Does it actually support 6 cores?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Support for 6 Core CPUs

Good question.

Anyone know if it even treats quad cores (like mine) well?

Anyone know of any benchmarks?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TheForkOfJustice View Post
    Good question.

Anyone know if it even treats quad cores (like mine) well?

Anyone know of any benchmarks?

I would be happy to do a benchmark if I can get everything working

Beans

I've seen one guy post who said he had 24 cores. I don't know how legitimate that was, but I can confirm that my dual core is supported, and I've seen quad-cores work fine, so I have to assume that quincore and sexcore processors are also supported. Where are you seeing only one core?
    http://xkcd.com/293/
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand ternary, those who don't, and those who confuse it with binary.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by WorMzy View Post
    I've seen one guy post who said he had 24 cores. I don't know how legitimate that was, but I can confirm that my dual core is supported, and I've seen quad-cores work fine, so I have to assume that quincore and sexcore processors are also supported. Where are you seeing only one core?
    Greetings,
    I see this on the Gnome System Monitor and even by running a cat /proc/cpuinfo (Output below)

processor : 0
    vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
    cpu family : 16
    model : 10
    model name : Dual-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 130500 Dual-
    stepping : 0
    cpu MHz : 878.380
    cache size : 512 KB
    physical id : 0
    siblings : 1
    core id : 0
    cpu cores : 1
    apicid : 0
    initial apicid : 0
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 6
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow constant_tsc up rep_good nonstop_tsc extd_apicid pni monitor cx16 popcnt lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw ibs skinit wdt
    bogomips : 1756.75
    TLB size : 1024 4K pages
    clflush size : 64
    cache_alignment : 64
    address sizes : 48 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
    power management: ts ttp tm stc 100mhzsteps hwpstate [9]

I also did a lshw and the output is https://k-disk.net/lshw.txt

Beans
    Distro

Are you sure the motherboard supports the processor? I ask because it's not in this list (yet):
    http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=pr...3&maincat_no=1
    (You'll likely have to update the bios.)

For proof that the processor works with ubuntu:
    http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online...w-Expectations
    "Let your roots dig deep into the hot soil... Let our scorching sun and sheeting rain turn your supple beauty into strength. For if our love is to survive, it must grow thorns to pierce the hand of any that would uproot it!"

Beans
    Distro

[SOLVED] Support for 6 Core CPUs

Hello All,
    I got a new motherboard and BAM it works perfectly. This machine is a monster. Here is a benchmark.I have also added a few screenshots as well. Enjoy

Benchmarks

CPU Blowfish CPU Blowfish This Machine1500 MHz3.012 Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor 1.50GHz(null)26.1876862 PowerPC 740/750 (280.00MHz)(null)172.816713 CPU CryptoHash CPU CryptoHash This Machine1500 MHz514.469 CPU Fibonacci CPU Fibonacci This Machine1500 MHz3.469 Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor 1.50GHz(null)8.1375674 PowerPC 740/750 (280.00MHz)(null)58.07682 CPU N-Queens CPU N-Queens This Machine1500 MHz0.932 FPU FFT FPU FFT This Machine1500 MHz2.017 FPU Raytracing FPU Raytracing This Machine1500 MHz14.470 Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor 1.50GHz(null)40.8816714 PowerPC 740/750 (280.00MHz)(null)161.312647
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The motherboard was incompatible with the processor. According to the lshw, You have an MSI K9N6PGM2-V2. According to MSI's website, the K9N6PGM2-V2 only supports 95W processors, and you were using an AMD 1045T which is 125W. The motherboard or processor must have has some sort of feature which disables all but 1 core so the computer would be usable. I am not trying to sound harsh, but it is important to check and make sure that your motherboard and processor are 100% compatible, before even installing the processor, because it could cause severe damage to your system. I am glad to here that you got it working though.