Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No microphone in Rosetta Stone via WINE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question No microphone in Rosetta Stone via WINE

Any WINE experts out there?

I can't seem to get my microphone to work with Rosetta Stone v3 via WINE. This is an onboard mic on my Dell Vostro 1000 laptop... no bluetooth, no usb, just using the mic jack. Both speakers and microphone work fine in ubuntu applications.

Here's the weird part: the mic works fine in WINE in GoldWave. Goldwave is an audio editor that allows me to record from my mic. Just tested it and I can record and hear my voice no problem!

See attached screenshot0 for error I get in Rosetta Stone.

I know that this is a common problem so here's what I've tried so far:

1 - Setting the WINE audio configuration to ALSA drivers (using 'default' like Goldwave). See atached screenshot-1

2 - Manually creating an .asoundrc file using these instructions. When I do this, substituting my audio device and card positions I get no speaker and no mic. Commenting out the code makes the speaker work again but leaves the mic inoperable.

3 - Using killall pulseaudio. This seems to be a popular method but it didn't work for me. The idea is to run:
    • killall pulseaudio
    • aoss wine program.exe

But I can't launch RosettaStone via the terminal that way. I get the following errors
    Code:
    err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {96749377-3391-11d2-9ee3-00c04f797396} not registered
    err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {96749377-3391-11d2-9ee3-00c04f797396} not registered
    err:ole:create_server class {96749377-3391-11d2-9ee3-00c04f797396} not registered
    fixme:ole:CoGetClassObject CLSCTX_REMOTE_SERVER not supported
    err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {96749377-3391-11d2-9ee3-00c04f797396} could be created for context 0x17
    wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\taskkill.exe"
    fixme:advapi:SetNamedSecurityInfoW L"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Macrovision Shared\\FLEXnet Publisher\\\\fnp_registrations.xml" 1 4 (nil) (nil) 0x27e3260 (nil)
    fixme:ole:CoInitializeSecurity ((nil),-1,(nil),(nil),0,3,(nil),0,(nil)) - stub!
    fixme:mountmgr:harddisk_ioctl unsupported ioctl 74080
    fixme:mountmgr:harddisk_ioctl unsupported ioctl 4100c
    fixme:mountmgr:harddisk_ioctl unsupported ioctl 41018
    fixme:wbemprox:wbem_locator_ConnectServer 0x14d9e0, L"root\\cimv2", (null), (null), (null), 0x00000000, (null), (nil), 0x90ce9a4)
    err:ole:CoUninitialize Mismatched CoUninitialize
    fixme:ole:CoInitializeSecurity ((nil),-1,(nil),(nil),0,3,(nil),0,(nil)) - stub!
    fixme:mountmgr:harddisk_ioctl unsupported ioctl 2d1400
    fixme:mountmgr:harddisk_ioctl unsupported ioctl 2d0c10
    fixme:wbemprox:wbem_locator_ConnectServer 0x14d9f8, L"root\\cimv2", (null), (null), (null), 0x00000000, (null), (nil), 0x93ce974)
    err:ole:CoUninitialize Mismatched CoUninitialize
    fixme:mountmgr:harddisk_ioctl unsupported ioctl 74080
    fixme:mountmgr:harddisk_ioctl unsupported ioctl 4100c
    fixme:mountmgr:harddisk_ioctl unsupported ioctl 41018
    fixme:mountmgr:harddisk_ioctl unsupported ioctl 2d1400
    fixme:mountmgr:harddisk_ioctl unsupported ioctl 2d0c10
    And lastly, a visual check on Rosetta Stone reveals a blank mic pulldown menu. See last attached screenshot.

Any advice?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
    Need help? It may be Just Plain Obvious
    Problem fixed? Mark Your Thread as Solved

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: No microphone in Rosetta Stone via WINE

From what I can see, this tends to be a pretty common issue with Rosetta Stone. I was only able to find one person who claimed to have it fixed (but I only looked for a couple minutes).

Take a look here & see if it helps: http://old.nabble.com/Re:-Rosetta-St...p19365868.html
    Be sure to mark your thread [SOLVED] if your issue has been fixed!
    How to get answers as quickly as possible | Wireless Issue? | How to use 'Code' tags

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SlidingHorn View Post
    From what I can see, this tends to be a pretty common issue with Rosetta Stone. I was only able to find one person who claimed to have it fixed (but I only looked for a couple minutes).

Take a look here & see if it helps: http://old.nabble.com/Re:-Rosetta-St...p19365868.html
    hey - thanks for the link but that was step #2 in my tested fixes

Forgot also to mention that I tried this with WINE 1.1.42 and just now after upgrading to v1.1.44 without luck.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

Beans

Yep same problem, but different symptoms:

I get the same 'No mic found'.

But when I check my ALSA driver I don't get the options that tango_ninja gets (see screenshot)

I tried the .asoundrc route, but I can't see if anything changed (see above).

And killall pulseaudio does nothing.

I also tried caltering the gain manually (as per http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1250674), but either I'm unlucky or he fluked it.

Just as a Check I tried running the Windows Version of Audacity and it worked fine. It seems to be specific to how Rosetta handles the audio
    Last edited by TPWT; May 21st, 2010 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Tried alternative program to test audio handling.

Beans
    Distro

TWPT, what version of wine are you using? My screenshot is from 1.1.42 but those options disappeared once i upgraded to 1.1.44

Also, did your killall pulse audio test produce terminal errors like mine? Or did rosetta stone launch fine as per normal (no mic)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thread moved to Wine forum.

Beans

Wine 1.0.0-0ubuntu4 (part of wine1.2-geko)

rosetta stone 3.2.11

killall Puleaudio gives no errors, but gives no mic either

Upgraded wine to 1.1.44

Then got a Rosetta stone FATAL APPLICATION ERROR #2120 with the terminal displaying:

Code:
    robert@robEEE:~$ killall pulseaudio
    robert@robEEE:~$ aoss wine '/home/robert/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Rosetta Stone/Rosetta Stone V3/RosettaStoneVersion3.exe' 
    err:ole:create_server class {96749377-3391-11d2-9ee3-00c04f797396} not registered
    fixme:ole:CoGetClassObject CLSCTX_REMOTE_SERVER not supported
    err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {96749377-3391-11d2-9ee3-00c04f797396} could be created for context 0x17
    fixme:advapi:SetNamedSecurityInfoW L"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Macrovision Shared\\FLEXnet Publisher\\\\fnp_registrations.xml" 1 4 (nil) (nil) 0x8f76218 (nil)

If I don't try the aoss wine.... trick, it logs in, but alas no alsa
    Last edited by TPWT; May 21st, 2010 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Attaching Code from 2nd machine

Beans

Fixed the problem

Installed VirtualBox
    Ran Rosetta stone inside an XP virtual machine
    Used external mic with Puleaudio emulated to an intel audio driver

If the microphone seems to lag- check the gain isn't too high/ You can change this in Ubuntu under the volume settings..

Hope wine sorts this problem out, while it works, running a VM fr one piece of software is a hassle. and wine would give a more practical solution!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have a similar problem no mic input, either through the internal or usb mic's.
    Both the mic's work with Skype and you can see them registering in the sounds settings.

Rosetta Stone sees that there are mic's there if I choose OSS Driver as my audio driver in the Wine settings, (see the first attached pic), but it still doesn't work. This was the same with Wine and Winepulse.
    I can see both of the mic's in the wine settings under PluseAudio Driver but they don't show up in the Rosetta Stone settings.

So far I've tried these steps,(latest first), using Wine 1.142 and Winepulse, Rosetta Stone Version 3.3.5 and 3.4.5;

Upgraded Alsa to 1.0.23

Installed winepulse

Manually creating an .asoundrc file using these instructions.

Using killall pulseaudio.

* killall pulseaudio
    * aoss wine program.exe

beefcake@beefcake:~$ killall pulseaudio
    beefcake@beefcake:~$ aoss wine program.exe
    ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libaoss.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
    ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libaoss.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
    wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\program.exe"
    beefcake@beefcake:~$

I'm using a Dell XPS M1210
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) fresh install.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Last edited by lindude; May 31st, 2010 at 06:24 AM. Reason: more info added

Beans
    Distro

Has anyone found a solution for this yet? While I don't really need the mic input it would be nice.
    "Don't Panic"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast