Thread: Upgrading from 8.10 through to 10.4, system dead on 9.10

Beans

Upgrading from 8.10 through to 10.4, system dead on 9.10

So the option was made available through Update Manager to upgrade the OS version from 8.10 (Intrepid) to the next best 9.04, this install went well. I next upgraded to 9.10 and was no longer able to open the OS. Grub seems fine, at first it brought me to a login screen (seemingly different than before) for Ubuntu, I did login with my usual credentials but I only saw a black screen for a long duration. Several tries reveal that it won't even load the login screen at all, it just does some minor processing with a blank screen. I have tried this multiple times with no luck, and I cannot find any problems on forums or in docs that would come close to similar.

I assume that I need a repair disk or some kind of option to recover the OS if the install went badly. But I absolutely cannot reinstall as I have very important documents on the existing OS. Stupidly I did not back them up.

Where should I start? I have the alternate disk but there does not seem to be anything but a shell option for recovery and I honestly don't know the back end of linux very well at all for this kind of repair. I really just want to see if the upgrade was never finished and possibly complete it or redo it again.

By the way, this is on a Dell Inspiron 600m laptop, so if it seems like maybe my hardware is too old for 9.10 or later please let me know. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie

Re: Upgrading from 8.10 through to 10.4, system dead on 9.10

during booting try using the recover option and then find out what type of graphics you have

lspci | grep VGA

If you have nvidia or ATI graphics - follow the advice in the sticky thread above.

If you have intel graphics try booting with
    i915.modeset=1 or
    i915.modeset=0

in your grub line (press e on grub display and add the above before ''quiet splash')

Beans

Re: Upgrading from 8.10 through to 10.4, system dead on 9.10

This helped, it was in fact ATI. I hadn't even noticed that sticky thread because I wasn't looking for video problems. I ended up fresh installing 10.4 over my unused windows part and it is working nicely. I was also about to recover my files from the old install.